Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default serail #15829

It also says that the unit was sold in September of 1890.
    Jacob

Default bankalchemist, collector

Quote Originally Posted by jacobrules View Post
    According to the ledger I have Number 14550 was sold November 16 1889 to C.F. Wagenhals in Lancaster Ohio. It appears they had some trouble collecting the full amount of the safe price from the buyer and there are some notes of them trying to get full payment. There are two different combination numbers shown maybe an inner and outer door. As far as you saying that there is a number 4 above the 14550 it may mean the handle number is actually 414550 but I don't know for sure. As far as reconditioning the safe the only person I am aware of is Bob Stabley at L.A. Safe and Vault in Pomona. He will do an immaculate job. I also looked in the MS&L ledger and that info didn't match up either.
    I am interested in acquiring your ledger.

Question Mosler Bahmann VAULT door

I service a small city hall vault in southeast Mo that is a Mosler Bahmann vault. This is the only one I have ever heard of, as the Bahmann lock was almost exclusively used on safes. The city was formed in 1880 and I am researching the city hall building for construction dates and information. This vault lock has a serial of 10900. I would be indebted to you if you can locate the sales information regarding this lock/vault sale. Thank you, DF

Default MB Vault Door

I looked through the first 150 pages where you would expect to find that number and the closest I came was 10906. So all I can tell you is that probably it was sold prior to July 1887. The serial numbers were put in the book as they were sold so things are not in numerical order. There is mention of vault doors in the book so there were probably others at one time. They also sold a lot of jail building supplies.
    Jacob

Default Mosler, Bahmann & Co safe (original thread in 2010)

My employer was going to have someone come down and take pictures of the safe to post, but they never did and it slipped my mind. I decided to take pictures myself, however the picture of the dial did not turn out and I am unable to remove the cover over the lock. I did manage however, to get these pictures of the safe and hopefully they can shed a little more light on the history of the safe.

Original Post:

I have been searching online for information about Mosler Bahmann's safes since it was delivered to our office today. I work for Frederick County Va and this safe was originally in the old county office building. It was recently found in the back of one of the county's storage sheds. The serial number on the handle is 20019. The top of the safe above the door reads Frederick Co. The dial has the patent information for Sargent & Greenleaf Rochester NY pat....ending with July 14, 1871. Any suggestions you have for researching the safe history would be appreciated. We are not sure where the purchase records would be located at this time because we do not know which office purchased it and when.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frederick County Safe pic 1.jpg   frederick county safe pic 2.jpg   inside door of safe.jpg   inside of safe.jpg  
    Last edited by smkyhllw; 20-11-13 at 08:16 PM. Reason: wanted to reference original post

I wouldn't discount that it is the right safe just on that one point.

Default Mosler Bahmann ledger

That serial number is outside the range that is in the ledger so all I can tell you is that it was probably sold after May 1892.

Which safe? Do you have a handle number / Serial Number?

Default Mosler Plate Safe Number 5057 Info?

Any info in ledgers on this safe? Serial number on handle is 5057. I would love to upload pictures but it says the file is too large

Thread Information