Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mosler Bahmann Sales Ledger 1887-1892

Here are some pic's of Mosler Bahmann's sales ledger from 1887-1892. It has all the safes they sold in that time period, their serial numbers, weight, who they were sold to, by what agent, factory combo's, where they went, how much they were sold or traded for (as in trades for horses, houses, land), and the best part are the notes about the transactions. Things like the depot burned down before the safe was delivered so we won't pay for it or that the agent was a G_D D__N Liar. The book is huge so I had to take pictures instead of scans because it just won't fit on a scanner. Really neat. I also have the ledgers for Mosler Safe and Lock co for 1882-1891 but that book is in much worse shape so I hate to lay it flat open for pic's. Well hold on. I'm trying to upload the pic's but having problems. Says the files are too big even with just one pic. I'll try to get it sorted out and add the pic's later.

Ok a little help from our trusty leader and maybe this will work. I put the dollar in for scale reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1190.jpg   100_1192.jpg   100_1193.jpg   100_1194.jpg   100_1195.jpg  

100_1196.jpg  

What a wounderful and interesting document. I like the recording of the combinations, no such thing as sending safes out with a std factory setting (10-20-30 etc) in those days then !

Default Sales Ledgers

Just for information the Mosler Bahmann Ledger covers serial numbers 10640 to 19490. The Mosler Safe and Lock ledger does not specify serial numbers but does have order numbers. Now I do not know if the serial number is the same as the order number. I have no way to tell unless someone can come up with a safe with the original paint and serial number in the range of the order numbers to crosscheck with. The order number range is in the 10,000's to 29,300's. Also in both ledgers the numbers are not in sequence. The numbers are listed in the sequence the safes were sold not by serial number. I imagine that they would make a batch of commonly sold safes and serialize them then sell them. A customer may like the features of one safe over another so the ledger would not be in order. With this being the case not every serial number in the range will be covered in the ledger. Most all of them are there and they are roughly near each other in sequence but there are large gaps mostly at the begining and end of the date ranges because many of those numbers are recorded in the ledger before or the ledger after this one. Mosler records are so cloudy because the Mosler Safe Company of the 20th century was such a conglomeration of so many 19th century companies that many times it is very hard to tell which company may have actually manufactured the safe you now own. Some of the companies that eventually led to the Mosler Safe Co. are Beard Brothers, The Bankers Dustproof Timelock Company, Corliss, Mosler Bahmann, Mosler Safe and Lock, and possibly even Consolidated. There may even be more.

Default Sales Ledger-Old Mosler Safe

What an interesting document you have. I am not a collector. I would be interested in you assistance for a safe that is likely recorded in your ledger to trace the history of the unit. My grandfather had an old Mosler safe that is now in my possession. My intentions are to keep it and likely invest some money to spruce up the outside appearance of the safe. The lock/combination are fully functional. The seriel number on the handle is 14550 and there is also a lone "4" immediately above the serial number between the two 5's on the handle.

Additional Markings on the front of safe:

W.O. Hanson. (likely original owner?)

Mosler Bahmann (manufacturer)

Warner Howard and Co,agt's. (distributor?)
    Dimensions: D27dx28.75wx38h (ground to top)

The combination dial has the markings Sargent & Greenleaf & Co. Rochester, New York

Is there a way for me to contact you outside the forum to get any additional information you may have in your ledger on this unit.

Also, I am looking for someone to restore the exterior without damaging it--any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Default Mosler, Bahmann & Co safe (original thread in 2010)

My employer was going to have someone come down and take pictures of the safe to post, but they never did and it slipped my mind. I decided to take pictures myself, however the picture of the dial did not turn out and I am unable to remove the cover over the lock. I did manage however, to get these pictures of the safe and hopefully they can shed a little more light on the history of the safe.

Original Post:

I have been searching online for information about Mosler Bahmann's safes since it was delivered to our office today. I work for Frederick County Va and this safe was originally in the old county office building. It was recently found in the back of one of the county's storage sheds. The serial number on the handle is 20019. The top of the safe above the door reads Frederick Co. The dial has the patent information for Sargent & Greenleaf Rochester NY pat....ending with July 14, 1871. Any suggestions you have for researching the safe history would be appreciated. We are not sure where the purchase records would be located at this time because we do not know which office purchased it and when.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frederick County Safe pic 1.jpg   frederick county safe pic 2.jpg   inside door of safe.jpg   inside of safe.jpg  
    Last edited by smkyhllw; 20-11-13 at 08:16 PM. Reason: wanted to reference original post

Default Mosler Bahmann

According to the ledger I have Number 14550 was sold November 16 1889 to C.F. Wagenhals in Lancaster Ohio. It appears they had some trouble collecting the full amount of the safe price from the buyer and there are some notes of them trying to get full payment. There are two different combination numbers shown maybe an inner and outer door. As far as you saying that there is a number 4 above the 14550 it may mean the handle number is actually 414550 but I don't know for sure. As far as reconditioning the safe the only person I am aware of is Bob Stabley at L.A. Safe and Vault in Pomona. He will do an immaculate job. I also looked in the MS&L ledger and that info didn't match up either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mosler.jpg  

Default Mosler Bahmann

Thank you for your response—I have attached photos of the safe to see if you see anything that may help you identify it in your ledger. Also, the combination recorded in the ledger does not match the combination for this unit. It would be fantastic if there were anything included in these photos for you to connect your document to my safe. There is a close-up of the serial number on the handle of the safe; while the second number is difficult to read, I believe it is a “4”; but it is possible it is a “1” or an “L” or a “6”. Any additional information/insight/suggestions you may have in tracking the history of this unit are appreciated. My grandfather was a rural mail carrier in North Dakota in the early 1900’s.

Also wanted to thank you for your reference for Bob Stabley at L.A. Safe and Vault. I looked at his site and you are right, his work is immaculate, although living in the Midwest, it will cost me a small fortune to have him work on it. But, after having seen his work, I will give him a call.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copy of inside safe VI.jpg   Copy of Safe V Front.jpg   Copy of safeIII.jpg   Copy of safeIV.jpg  

Chances are high that the combination was changed since that safe was made. So I wouldn't discount that it is the right safe just on that one point.

Interestingly there is an S&G dial for sale on eBay, item 320477658066, that matches the description "smkyhllw" gave.

Thread Information