Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Very rare Chubb plate

This is the plate from the strongroom to which the extremely rare Chubbs No 3 Bank locks were fitted.

Sorry for the poor quality, it is a scan of a photocopy of the plate ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubbplate.jpg  

Default Re: Very rare Chubb plate

Rare indeed. Only once have I seen one similar to this which was attached to a double-door "safe" in the Science Museum. No longer on display the piece in question had come from Bridgewater House in what is now Park Lane at a date given as 1832. The keys for this wrought iron cupboard had been lost on two occasions, opened by Chubb on the first, and by E.Smith & Co.,member of the MLA on the second.

At the time it was made Chubb had not yet started manufacturing safes or strongrooms and were in fact having them manufactured for them, fitted with their own locks, by Edward Tann & Son.of Hackney.

This is covered in some detail with illustrations which include the Chubb lock of the time in my website in a footnote at the end of the history of Edward Tann & Son. http://www.safeman.org.uk/edwtann.htm

Alongside this Chubb safe was a square-bodied Chatwood Safe Number 18905 (1891) which had been used to house pieces of bronze from Russian cannons during the Crimean War and from which are made the Victoria Cross.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SM Chubb plate 1 copy.jpg   SM Chatwood copy.jpg  

Default Re: Very rare Chubb plate

Thanks for the pictures. I was aware that the early Chubb safes were made by Tanns as in the case of the one in the Science Museum - I recall seeing it there many years ago. The one the plate I posted though I had thought to have been much later as the locks found on it were not invented until after the great exhibition.

Thread Information