Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Diebold Full Automatic Bankers Safe

Just so Vlad doesn't get to have all the fun here are some pic's of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diebold Automatic Bankers Safe 005.jpg   100_1047.jpg   100_1049.jpg   Safe Pics 024.jpg  

Default Re: Diebold Full Automatic Bankers Safe

Very nice indeed, I am allways very impressed by the sheer quality of these. Is there a timelock on the inner coffer ?

Default Re: Diebold Full Automatic Bankers Safe

No timelock on the inner chest but there is a trapdoor for extra storage in the floor. Safe is fully functional and retracts the bolts as it should and I have the bolt motor winding handle. The first time I tried it (with the door open for good reason) the bolts did not fully retract and I found a screw blocking one of the lower bolts and I had to disassemble the bolt work to get it out. After that it works perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1050.jpg  

Beautiful. Two questions:

1 - It looks like you made, or found, a custom slot in the wall for it. What's the story?

2 - There appears to be a catalog page for the safe attached to its front. Would you mind scanning and posting this for us to see?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Default Diebold Full Automatic

This safe is sitting in my office on the second floor. When we built this new building they drywalled around some ducting and it turned out to be just the right size for the safe so I put a 1/2" plate down on the floor and moved the safe onto the plate before the laid the tile and after they painted. I used a reach lift and stuck it through the second story window. before I set it up I moved that electrical outlet up so it would be above the safe so I could use it if I wanted to. The scanned catalog page isn't for an automatic but it is close. This safe weighs 2950 lbs.
    Jacob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Diebold safe

Jacob, I just bought an old safe very similar to yours and am having it reighted it to me. Mine is beautifuk, but nowhere near as restored as yours is. Did you do any cleaning/polishing/restoration work on it, or is that how you got it? Also, since I have no idea what I'm doing with mine in terms of how it works, would it be okay to e-mail you to pick your brain with any question regarding how to wind this safe, etc? I promise not to be a pain and abuse it, it would just be nice to check in with someone who knows about this thing. I'll send you pics of mine when I get it if you'd like, it's got a two clock timer instead of your three, and mine is 27x28x46, but other than that they look pretty close to the same. Thx, your safe is truly gorgeous!

David Litt
    323 655-8799

David.... don't be shy! Post a pic of your find! Please!

Default year?

Hi Jacob,
    I was showing my uncle a GSA class III secure file cabinet I acquired and he told me he had a safe I could have that was my grandfathers. He gave me some details (size, diebold, 3 clocks inside) and google lead me to your photos here. He said the safe he has is the same type as yours... can you tell me how old your safe is?

Thanks!

Find the serial numbers on the Time movements and the safe body.

These are older posts but since the question about winding the auto was raised, I think a little precautionary information might be helpful. Bolt throwing automatics or motors as they are sometimes called can be very dangerous, most especially to collectors or the curious. The power generated can remove fingers if the auto is wound up and set to release. Normally in actual use the door is shut after setting but doing that and leaving the door open is where the danger can appear. Having your fingers on the boltwork as the trigger is released can be a disaster. Unless of course you like being known as 3 finger Sam. Most autos are triggered by some sort bracket on the door when it hits the door jamb. Some others have release timers built into them. So keep your hands clear when playing with these. And to those who want to disassemble them which is not recommended just remember they all contain strong springs under pressure. I don't know if it is still the practise but truck tires were put in a cage after assembly to fill them with air. This way if the ring wasn't properly seated it wouldn't take your head off. Bolt motors can be like that.

Thread Information