Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Wylk, I pulled that term off that patent as I was searching for what it was called. Unfortunately, the copies of the patents I have on my notebook are barely legible, so I assumed that was the spring box he was referring to. Now I see that he had been describing a totally different method of achieving the same goal, a delay timer. That will teach me to be more thorough in the future, as I know you will be watching.

Somewhere on this forum I believe I have posted pictures of the Burton auto I completely disassembled. The actions of extending the bolts and retracting are both controlled by their respective delay timer switches. Both actions also have their own linkages that latch when the auto is cranked up. So I am thinking either the internal delay timer,which controls only the bolt extension or the extension linkage is not latching.

[QUOTE=00247;25045]Is this it Doug?

http://www.antique-locks.com/showthread.php/691-Bolt-Motor-Identification?highlight=burton
    [/QUOTE

I got it working! By way of explanation, when I got the safe, the builder's plate (a 3" round circle) was unattached and laying in the safe. So that it wouldn't get lost (and to keep dust out of the cutaway holes) I found some miniature screws that seemed to fit the tapped holes and attached it. Never gave it another thought. Today I realised that the right hand screw tip was making contact with a gear behind it -- just enough to retard it's movement. So that I don't take too much credit, I had to removed the screw to examine - through the cutaways -- the gears. With the screw out (until I find a shorter one), the minute you cock it you can see three different size gears spinning and hear a very pronounced clicking noise. The bolts extend at 27 seconds. I also figured out what the lever to the left - with the hole cutout - does: it activates the timer (after cocking, of course).

The UW-Madison has the Patent Office Gazetter on line and using the 4 patent numbers referenced earlier I'd like to figure out which, if any, mate up with this model.

Sincere thanks to Wylk and Doug for their expertise and taking the time to get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Huse View Post
    The UW-Madison has the Patent Office Gazetter on line and using the 4 patent numbers referenced earlier I'd like to figure out which, if any, mate up with this model.
    Even easier than UW is the US Patent Office's web site: http://patft.uspto.gov, click (or tap) Number Search, enter the patent number, then Images.

That lever, which I now realize was on the one I worked on, does exactly the same thing the screw was doing. It binds against the gear shaft receiving the least torque located at the end of the gear train, effectively stopping motion. If left in one position, the timer starts running as soon as the auto is cranked up. In the other position it prevents the timer from running. So it can be used to stop the timer midstream if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Even easier than UW is the US Patent Office's web site: http://patft.uspto.gov, click (or tap) Number Search, enter the patent number, then Images.
    Wylk, you're probably right regarding the USPO site being easier. Nonetheless, I examined the pix which support patents 364,922, 383040-41, and 382071 and none resemble the BH model I have. I'll look at them some more since I realize the patent pix show different layers and perhaps I am misinterpreting what I am seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    That lever, which I now realize was on the one I worked on, does exactly the same thing the screw was doing. It binds against the gear shaft receiving the least torque located at the end of the gear train, effectively stopping motion. If left in one position, the timer starts running as soon as the auto is cranked up. In the other position it prevents the timer from running. So it can be used to stop the timer midstream if needed.
    Doug, regarding the (basically) on-off lever I'm wondering whether it is missing some tag or indicator. Otherwise, why does it have a hole? The hole suggests it was either attached to something or it is there to hold some tag or plate -- perhaps showing an arrow to the right and the word "run" or something -- don't you agree? On a lighter note, my misplaced screw performed the same function as the lever -- but was a bit more permament. Who would have thought a 1/4" 3-48 screw would draw against one of the gears!

I don't know the purpose of the hole, but I am not terribly surprised about the screw. That has happened to me a couple times on reinstalling back covers on safe doors, where a screw has bottomed out on one of the bolts and bound up the boltwork. I have a question related to your quest to determine the model you have. You mention a 3 " round circle builders plate but the picture shows a rectangular plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    I don't know the purpose of the hole, but I am not terribly surprised about the screw. That has happened to me a couple times on reinstalling back covers on safe doors, where a screw has bottomed out on one of the bolts and bound up the boltwork. I have a question related to your quest to determine the model you have. You mention a 3 " round circle builders plate but the picture shows a rectangular plate?
    My mistake. It's rectangular not round. Sorry. Guess the only way to determine why there is a hole would be to find a picture of that model fully assembled. Maybe someone on this forum knows of one.

Thread Information