Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

General lock/Schlage lock made a mortice lock that was like that. If you were to open the case it could let loose one of the two or both springs and hurt you. There is a story of someone getting a spring in thru the eye.

Good to know not to play with those.

Default Diebold Full Automatic

I would guess that the safe is about 1890's.
    Jacob

Default Other bankers.

I know this is a little late but i need some help. I need to estimate the weight of a Bankers safe i found. A steel calculator i found online is telling me that it weighs about 4500 lbs! i can imagine that. Cannonballs weigh about that much. Here are the dimensions- 35'' (On wheels), 33 w.out wheels./ 22''w, 23''d. The walls are 3.5 inches thick, and door is 5 inches thick. There is also a jewelers chest inside, so add about 500 lbs to your estimate. It cant be that much bigger in size that the one pictured above, so how could it weigh so much more!? I am just curious as to how much it really weighs. Thanks, Jack-

The one that I showed in the photos at the start of this thread weighs 2950. 38" tall with wheels, 24" wide, 20" deep excluding compression mechanism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safe Pics 001.jpg  

Default Diebold (NOT) Full automatic

What model is this Diebold? It is the "brother" of the D but has a combo. Can some one furnish a good PDF of the page in the catalog?

Thanks,

Rod Miller
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	9004

Default Diebold (not automatic)

may not be much help but a photo of your safe is pictured in Dave McOmie's Safe Opening Vol.3, pg 32.

Default How the Burton-Harris Bolt Activating Device works

I just acquired a Diebold Safe which is fitted with the Burton Harris device. All three timelocks, however, were over-wound and stuck at 120 hours+ and I am reluctant to "cock" the B-H Device (with door open) and see if it performs. Since the clocks are in the "wound" position (even though frozen) shouldn't the bolt motor device operate? If so, what is the timing before the bolts will extend (lock)? In this scenario, I would need to retract the bolts manually (doing the work of the timelock for it). No way you would want to operate the B-H device with the door closed.

As the automatic bolt motors would always be tested with the door open, I don't see why you can' t do the same. However, as they can be pretty efficient at taking a finger off, some precautions should be taken first. Why don't you post some pictures so I can see what you have. Doug

Default Bolt Motor

With the door open the Bolt Motor should work. There is no timing for the motor to operate. The switch lever should be connected to the inside door jam to operate the bolts. If the the bolt motor cocks and sets then all that is needed is to throw the catch that would normally be pressed when the door is in the fully closed position and the bolts should throw out to a locked position. Like Doug said every precaution should be taken to do this with your hands away from the door. If you push the catch with your right hand while resting your left hand on the door you may be surprised at the results the next time you try to count to ten. Once thrown the bolts will not retract until the catch in the bolt motor that the timelock normally operates is then activated to retract the bolts. Keep your fingers safe. Post pics.
    Jacob

Default "There is no timing for the bolt motor to operate"......

Quote Originally Posted by jacobrules View Post
    With the door open the Bolt Motor should work. There is no timing for the motor to operate. The switch lever should be connected to the inside door jam to operate the bolts. If the the bolt motor cocks and sets then all that is needed is to throw the catch that would normally be pressed when the door is in the fully closed position and the bolts should throw out to a locked position. Like Doug said every precaution should be taken to do this with your hands away from the door. If you push the catch with your right hand while resting your left hand on the door you may be surprised at the results the next time you try to count to ten. Once thrown the bolts will not retract until the catch in the bolt motor that the timelock normally operates is then activated to retract the bolts. Keep your fingers safe. Post pics.
    Jacob
    Problem is, there is no "switch lever" on the jamb. So, I can only assume the H-B Device works on a timer. I have another model which uses a switch lever on the inside door jam, so I know what you mean. I tried testing this apparatus by cocking the bolt motor, as suggested, and it cocked but nothing (subsequently) happened -- even after 30 minutes. I reset it by manually performing the action of the snubber bar and it clanked loudly but, of course, couldn't retract the bolts since they had never been extended. Help! PS. Excuse the partially blurred, turned pix. The glass in the timelock door is broken and I have a baggie taped over the opening to block dust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1013189.jpg  

Thread Information