Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Norman Lock

I have 5 cylinders and 3 keys. All keyed alike.

Are these worth anything to anyone?

I pulled these form the scrap bucket at work. This is the only website that I've found with any information.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140727_203205981.jpg  

PM sent
    Mark A. Billesbach

One of these left?

Thanks
    mh

Default sold

My cylinders have been sold. Thanks.

Default Escape Artist?

Hi

When you google for Norman Epstein, you will find a Popular Science article that states he was an "escape artist".
    Do you know if he was really an escape artist, or was that the term for "hobby lockpicker" at that time?

Cheers
    mh

I will wait for BBE to reply as he might know more... I am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mhmh View Post
    Hi

When you google for Norman Epstein, you will find a Popular Science article that states he was an "escape artist".
    Do you know if he was really an escape artist, or was that the term for "hobby lockpicker" at that time?

Cheers
    mh
    I contacted a friend who used to own Waterbury Lock and asked if Norman had been an escape artist. His reply was 'not the Norman I knew'. He was acquainted with Norman for many years.
    BBE.

Default Popular Science Jan. 1980

This is the Popular Science Magazine article from Jan. 1980 that said so: http://books.google.de/books?id=scDq...ed=0CB0Q6AEwAA
    (not sure if the link works, but it's the first link on google for "Norman Epstein escape artist").

It says "... is an escape artist who says he can pick most locks - but not his own."

Was Norman Epstein a professional locksmith instead?

If not - besides the fact that lock inventors often used to pick their competitors' locks, e.g. Alfred Charles Hobbs -
    how about the 1970s and 80s - did the "non-criminal, non-professional-locksmith Lock Picker" (today known as a hobby lockpicker) exist in people's minds? Or would such lockpickers have been called "escape artists"?

Cheers
    mh

I am going to guess he worked as a locksmith at some point. We all pick locks... occupational hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    I am going to guess he worked as a locksmith at some point. We all pick locks... occupational hazard.
    I think the reporter got some wires crossed. I did a search for Norman Epstein Carmel NY and the answer was interesting. It claimed he is still alive at 84 and living in Carmel. I remember seeing the notice of his passing some years ago, like 15 or 20. So I'm unsure of what is happening with the online search.

I did find that he had four US patents, 2 for the Norman cylinder and 1 for a knee replacement and another for a hip. So, he certainly was an inventor.

BBE.

Thread Information