Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Stumbler Guest

Default Need help to find right lock ?

I feel a fraud in here - I'm not a lock collector, but I need some help to identify what lock I need so I'd thought I'd ask for help here :)
    I bought a c1900 pine cabinet. Bit rough, nothing fancy. Two doors at front that open out ( like a wardrobe ). Now there are two possible lock places. There's a fancy silver keyhole cover with hole for key ( hole seems a bit rough ) but no mechanism behind it ( and no marks either ). So just keyhole cover. About three inches higher there's a piece cut out of the cabinet. To the right at back on one door there's the mark where something rectangular was, box like. Other corresponding door has a 'hummock' of wood on rim of door and 'hummock' of wood on back of door. 'Hummock' = ronnded excess. What type of lock do I need and which 'bit' should the lock be on ie bit with keyhole or area above. it ?Would appreciate any help and apologies if ( as I suspect ) this is the wrong place to ask this question.

First of all you can go to http://www.internet-locksmith.com/ with your question and you might find more help being the site has over 1700 locksmiths and it has a public section just for this type of question. :D As for the lock you can get what you need from almost any locksmith but you will have to order it. That is not somthing they would stock and they would be able to do a good job if you don't feel up to the task. :D Myself I would have to see pics before I would say where it could or should go. Its like fixing a car over the phone... a bit hard to do. My sugestion would be to take a pic of the cabinet and post it on IL.

Stumbler Guest

Thank You :)

Thread Information