Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Sargent & Greenleaf Magnetic Combination lock.

I found this image on an old backup disc from a previous PC. I have no idea where I got it from. If it is your copyright please contact me.

--

A great photo of an S&G magnetic comb lock with the decorative plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1003246.jpg  

Default Re: Sargent & Greenleaf Magnetic Combination lock.

I found this image on an old backup disc from a previous PC. I have no idea where I got it from. If it is your copyright please contact me.

--

Another, of the automatic this time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Automatic.jpg  

Default Magnet and Automatic

Paul-
    I think the Magnet and Automatic are my locks and my photos--no worry as to copyright. They are both on display at S&G and have been for the past few years. They are joined by a fine #2 Cello bolt timelock, a #5 salesman sample, and an S&G sample prison lock with glass-covered cutout. I have since aquired a nice #2 rollerbolt timelock that will join them.
    Mark Bates

Hi Mark

Thanks for the OK to use them, great locks.

Really good to see you here, I'm sure we would all love to see anything you may care to post.

Rgds

Paul

Default Could the early Sargent magnetic locks be picked?

A question, if anyone can help.
    I have come across a newspaper challenge to James Sargent from Joseph L Hall claiming he could pick (open) the James Sargent Magnetic Combination lock. (End March 1870.) James Sargent refused the challenge and would only accept it if he could use a later modified lock supplied and fitted to a Hall Vault door (his terms). I no nothing about these early combination locks. Any idea what the modification was? Was it patented?

If it is regarding the same challenge I read about and the date would seem to be the same, I will try to try to give a brief and hopefully accurate summary. One of Jos. Hall's men supposedly picked open a Sargent 'Magnetic" or "Automatic" lock installed in a bank in Chicago. Jas. Sargent didn't believe it happened as claimed and a flurry of letters between the two men ensued. I don't believe the picking of a Sargent was repeated. But then Sargent either challenges or is challenged by Hall to pick one of Hall's best which at the time was the "Victor" lock. The Halls "Premier" had not yet been made. Anyway Hall supplies a lock and in front of witnesses Sargent gives it his best shot. At the end of time alloted Sargent had failed to open the lock. Suspecting something was not quite right Sargent then asks Jos Hall to open the lock himself. After all he had supplied it to the contest and surely had the combination. It turns out that Jos. Hall was unable to open his own lock even with the combination. Of course Sargent rightly claims foul play. I have a feely the two men never spoke again and certainly Hall didn't want the contest to be remembered. Several new patents come out of the Hall factory finally culminating in the "Premier" lock. Doug

Default Sargent & Greenleaf Magnetic Combination lock.

Found this in another forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p7oAruijthznh0vNf2RUFw.jpg   w2ERN2shJpcGTcfTtmuKpw.jpg  

Thread Information