Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Reba729 View Post
    Think I'm hooked.
    Yes, I am too, I just went deeper than most... I work with locks for a living and a hobby. 20 years as a Locksmith now.

What kind of lock do you have?
    The two areas I collect are Unit locks made since 1899 and Cutaway cylinders. Mostly high security cutaways but just about anything that is cutaway in a lock cylinder.

Think I will concentrated on locks by Star Lock Works, invented by Louis Hillebrand. Not to expensive and a place to start.
    This isn't entirely true. If you happen to come across a really rare padlock that can set you back maybe $1000 or more if it was for sale. But this all depends on what you consider to be expensive. But you are correct in that it is a place to start. Collecting is all about what you find that makes you sit up and your eyes light up.

Have you gotten into going to he US patent office yet? Not easy to find these old locks with the system they have. Have a good one. Reba729
    No need to. Google Patents has already done it for us. It is MUCH easier to find something with Google Patents if you put the right words and or name.
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 15-10-10 at 02:20 AM.

Default To everyone posting

To Old biscuit: Thanks for the lead on info. I did my search for my patent thru Google and it worked fine after I discovered that because mine was so old I had to add a couple of zeros in front of the patent number I had. I just started my journey into padlocks about 3 weeks ago so will stay small until I learn what I am doing. I know just enough to be dangerous to my pocket book, if you know what I mean. Being a 62 year old grandma I spend a lot of time in thrift shops and have seen a lot of locks but now they will get much more of my attention. Seems to me a lot of nice people are into this, which is great. Looking forward to sharing and learning. Reba729

Default Forgot to ask

I've seen pictures of my Star Lock Works padlock and some have had a ball in the hole at the bottom with what I would describe as a fat little tale hanging off of it. Mine doesn't have that and was wondering what it is and what it's use is?

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Supposed to be tail not tale Reba729

The lock on my web site has, at the bottom, a chain and clevis which you must be talking about. The image isn't very good and that makes it hard to figure out if you aren't familiar with such things.
    BBE.

Default Learning

Thanks BBE. Knew it must have a name, everything does. Was this an aftermarket item sold by another company or by the manufacturing company, if you know? Now I have to find a clevis and a key!!!!!!

Default To all those helping me

Hi Again everyone,
    Found a key to open my Star Lock Works 1870 padlock. Bought a cheap bag of keys off e-bay and 2 of them worked. One better than the other but the same style. It was the T shape with no downward ends. Once I got it open found a Roman numeral X on the opened shackle on the pivot hole side. Don't know if that means anything. I used my 10X loop and it looks like there may be letter(s) and numbers inside the hole where the shackle closes. Tried using acetone and did get some of the black stuff out but not enough to be sure if letters and numbers are really there. Got a headache from the fumes though. Open for suggestions as to what to use to remove the black stuff. Does anyone know if anything is written in there? Thanks Reba729

Default Star lock

Star also made Scandi. padlocks for the PRR....Logo is cast into the lock ...Donnie

Default Key?

Anyone know where I might be able to get a key cut for one of these locks using the dot code?

Thanks BBE. Knew it must have a name, everything does. Was this an aftermarket item sold by another company or by the manufacturing company, if you know? Now I have to find a clevis and a key!!!!!!
    I don't know how I didn't see this 5 years ago, but, the clevis and chain is typically an option offered by the manufacturer. There are some available in the aftermarket but typically they are also from manufacturers and designed to fit their own brands. HTH,
    BBE.

Thread Information