Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Help With Info On Padlock

I've attached a few pictures of an old padlock my dad gave me. I was hoping someone could give me a little information about it. I'm very curious.

Much appreciated.

Thanks

Lane Kamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5300714.JPG   P5300712.JPG   P5300715.JPG  

Default Re: Need Help With Info On Padlock

Hello Lane,

What you have is what is refered to as a Scandinavian jailhouse padlock made by the Star Lock Works 1836 to 1926 Their trade mark star around the keyhole is what can be used to identify it. The dots in the star are actually the key code for cutting the key if it should be lost. I'm not real sure how it is coded but there is a method for doing so. Your's is a little unusual in that it has a bullring shackle most were just a standard type. Without knowing the exact size I would guess 4" by looking at the key the value of such a lock to a collector would approx $175.00 Prices for this type of lock goes up according to size the bigger the better, Good Luck.

Default Re: Need Help With Info On Padlock

Thanks so much for the info. Is star lock works still in business? Is it possible that the lock was used on a jail cell in Santa Fe New Mexico? He bought it with a badge that says Santa Fe Deputy New Mexico. The badge has a small fox etched on the back.

Cool I have a Star too

Hi, I have a Star brass crab style patent in March 1870. I research the inventor of my padlock, Louis Hillebrand. The patten # on mine is 00100402 and was made for several years for different uses. Mine was touted as a luggage lock and another one I saw was sold as a dog lock. The original company was known as Hillebrand & Wolf. It was located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The company was taken over and I think Star locks are still made under a different name. If you do a web search for Star Locks places pop up. I would suggest you visit antique-padlocks.com. That's where I found mine and got some good information. Good luck and happy hunting. Reba

That patent is incorrect for that padlock pictured above.
    IMPROVEMENT IN PADLOCKS - Google Patent Search
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 13-10-10 at 01:33 PM.

Default "Halflock" reply

Hi again Lane, Hope Halflock didn't think my patent number was the number for your lock because it's not. Two entirely different locks. I've got some extra time so I'll serf the site I suggested and a couple others and see if I can find your lock.

Take care and have a good day. Reba729

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Just got off antique-padlocks.com If you go to Padlocks for Sale or Trade and also Padlocks Wanted, David Heuermann has some Scandinvian padlocks shown. None is yours but if you e-mail him, as I did, he may be interested in buying yours or can put you in touch with someone who can give you specifics on your lock. That's how I got my patent number. Once again, Good Luck. Reba729

Lanekamp, It's possible that it could have been used on a cell door in a jail,but without any paperwork or firsthand account to that fact it would be all speculation. Anyone could take a article from that time frame and put a badge with it and make any kind of claim they wanted and how could you prove them right or wrong. Beyond that point though you still have a very nice collectable lock. Like Angusbuddy said it should be worth in the neighborhood of $100-$175, especially given the fact that it has the origional working key Mark
    P.S. Star Lock Works was the largest manufacturer of Scandinavian locks but has been out of business since 1926
    Last edited by oldbiscuit; 13-10-10 at 11:43 PM.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Sorry, If I see a patent number I like to look it up and see what it is. I try to learn about the start of locks this way. I had made the mistake of thinking that your lock you were talking about was like his.

Default Newbie here too Halflock

Hi Halflock, Like your handle. I'm not so creative. Just getting into this as I inherited my padlock from my grandfather many years ago and finally decided to find out about it. Think I'm hooked. What kind of lock do you have? Think I will concentrated on locks by Star Lock Works, invented by Louis Hillebrand. Not to expensive and a place to start. Have you gotten into going to he US patent office yet? Not easy to find these old locks with the system they have. Have a good one. Reba729

Reba,If your really interested in collecting padlocks,may I suggest a couple of books? #1 The Padlock Collector by Franklin M. Arnall (sixth edition May 1996 is the last edition) #2 Early Locks and Lockmakers of America by Thomas F. Hennessy (it's listed on this web sitehttp://www.lockmuseum.com/index.html ). If you look on Ebay,there are Star padlocks that come up quite often as there are many different sizes and styles out there. Welcome to a fun hobby and never feel afraid to ask questions,we may not have the answers but we sure will give it our best shot. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information