Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sargent Union Lock Co.

I am trying to find anything on this Sargent lock. It is a unit lock that is 9 inch high and 3.5 accross the outside plate. It is a 2.75 backset. It has 1440 JA on the inside cover and it does not show up in my 1948 Sargent Catalog so I am guessing that it is older say about 1910ish. It has Sargent Union Lock Co. on the latch face.

Does anyone know when Union was droped from the name?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unit locks 015a.jpg  

Default I believe it was introduced around 1906 and patented in 1911.

I have the exact lock pictured--except it is the opposite hand. Oddly enough searching for info about this very lock is how I found this website. Also note it has an unusual master ring cylinder--until I came across this lock I had no idea Sargent ever made such a thing. Other than patent drawings there is little to nothing out there about them.

I have a Sargent Master Ring mortice cylinder thanks to BBE. It is interesting lock in the way the cam moves. This lock above is the precursor to a unit lock.

Dean,
    Can you post a picture of the Sargent master ring?

Default The offset master ring is interesting..

I would really like to see how they dealt with this problem in a mortise cylinder as well. Unlike the Corbin master ring, the Sargent master ring has the plug offset in the ring. I just couldn't picture this working properly. When the plug rotates, the action is typical of any regular cylinder, but rotation at the master ring causes the plug and tailpiece to rotate in a sweeping motion, almost like the piston connections on a crankshaft. After taking apart the cylinder used in the Union Lock, it became apparent that there is enough play built into the tailpiece driver so that rotation of the master ring still rotates the locking mechanism. However, I can't imagine how such a cylinder would work in a typical surface mount rim lock unless the tailpiece was mounted to the back of the core along a large sliding groove? Was it possibly the limited uses of this cylinder that led to it disappearing?

BBE has great pictures of it in action... I can't find the link. Maybe he can post it in another thread. If not I will look for the cylinder and take some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    BBE has great pictures of it in action... I can't find the link. Maybe he can post it in another thread. If not I will look for the cylinder and take some pictures.
    The image I have is from an article I roe in 2009. It is an animated image I mad to show how the mortise cylinder works but is too big to upload here. I will relocate copy of it to somewhere it can be linked to and post the link here.
    BBE

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    The image I have is from an article I roe in 2009. It is an animated image I mad to show how the mortise cylinder works but is too big to upload here. I will relocate copy of it to somewhere it can be linked to and post the link here.
    BBE
    Here is a link to the image.
    BBE.

http://1st-net-lock-museum.com/0907b03.gif

Thanks for posting the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    Here is a link to the image.
    BBE.

http://1st-net-lock-museum.com/0907b03.gif
    BTW, the patent 830,013 was issued September 4, 1906.
    BBE

Thread Information