Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default T. Withers & Sons safe -- good price?

Hello,

I've came across this safe at a local antique store yesterday. Very nice, original paint. This is my first sample tike this. It's about 2 feet tall. The guy wants $750. Is that a good price?

Thanks, again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0508091651b.jpg   0508091650a.jpg   0508091650b.jpg   0508091651a.jpg   0508091652a_01.jpg  

Default Re: T. Withers & Sons safe -- good price?

$100US would almost be too much to pay

Interesting. Really? Is that what these go for in UK? Such safes are fairly rare here, in US.

Thank you for the info, though -- a much needed "reality check".

Vlad

I paid £1 for my last one - they just wanted it taken away!

I did it up a bit and later sold it for £100 fitted.

Security is pretty low, and any fire resistance is long gone from most of them. (This was explained to my customer!)

Because there is no scrap metal value to them and they are heavy and they dont wear out quickly, there are a lot of them hanging around at the back of garages and very few uses for an uninsurable safe, so the glut of supply and lack of purchasers make them very cheap.

Default nz price

Quote Originally Posted by vlad0002 View Post
    Hello,

I've came across this safe at a local antique store yesterday. Very nice, original paint. This is my first sample tike this. It's about 2 feet tall. The guy wants $750. Is that a good price?

Thanks, again.

over here in New Zealand they go for around $300 /$700 , in good condition and if they have the original key and the company logo on inside door is in good condition they have gone for up to $900., I paid $350 for mine two years ago , has the original key with makes name on it , from which I made a working copy.

Location is everything. You are correct this safe is not common to the US market. I have never seen one in the Pacific Northwest. I am not saying it is worth $750 but it is worth maybe a few hundred. Cash talks, Make an offer of cash if you really want it. I might start with $100 and see where it goes. Be ready to walk away as that person has the control of the deal. Having the OEM key will change the price as was mentioned. Details will make it worth more or less.

Default original key counts

total agree with Dean, I was offered nearly double what I paid for my safe because I had the original key , even thou the makers name was worn .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160119_111310.jpg  

Thread Information