Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default brass padlock found on RR track in plymouth MA

Hi found this brass padlock next to the Railroad tracks. There are no markings just the number 75 stamped on the clasp. I was wondering if someone could give me a roough date on it and some info. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011.JPG  

Default Re: brass padlock found on RR track in plymouth MA

Hello Spinner,

Found by the tracks leads me to think what you have is a railroad signal lock used to lock the signal equipment boxes along the tracks. Switch locks are usually much larger and beefier. A number of companys made this sort of lock over the years but the one you have looks to be a Wilson Bohannan who made a large number of them. I would estimate age as being somewhere between the 30's to 90's as they were a pretty common lock. WB was known to only mark their locks with a simple model number which would account for the 75 on the shackle. Hope this helps?

Thank you for your info after trying to do some reserch my intrest in these old locks has grown and im going to try to buy a couple of inexpensive locks. Thanks again.

Hi Spinner,

If you want to begin collecting I would recommend checking out a few clubs here in the states and also getting a copy of Frank Arnalls "The Padlock Collector" which is available through this site. The last edition of this book was back in 1996 but is still very helpfull in identifying and pricing locks. It also has a great layout for the numerous catagories of collecting padlocks and the companies, hardware distributors who made them possible.

You're not too far from the Lock Museum of America in Terryville, CT which is wealth of information regarding American lock makers. Try googling a couple of clubs here in the states, Both the West Coast Lock Collectors Association (WCLCA) and the Americal Lock Collectors Association (ALCA) have regular newsletters which address the hobby and full of great articles covering a broad spectrum of topics. There are also a couple of clubs and newsletters from the UK and Europe and all have a regular yearly event where everyone's prize posessions are on display and others for sale.

Good Luck

Thread Information