Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default corbin cabinet lock W/ ORION and stars on the front?

I have a lock that was found in water near Racine WI USA that reads in large print "ORION" and has a star on each side of the key hole under this word. On the clasping bar that locks into the padlock itself reads Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. Does anyone know where this came from and how old it is or if I'm just wasting time. I've tried looking online but only found COrbin Cabinet CO. history and nothing of this "Orion" edition lock. please help

Default Re: corbin cabinet lock W/ ORION and stars on the front?

Hi Rhythm,

Your lock is known as a poormans story lock, this is a class of embossed tin locks with pictures and names. Corbin Cab Lock company was started in 1882 and part of the larger Corbin lock works. They were the main contributor to this line of locks along with Eagle which were usually geared to a theme, the Orion would fall into the Astrology series, there were a number of others. The lock you have is very commom and if it were in great working condition it might bring $25 to the right buyer. You mention being in water and without a picture I would assume it's not in the best condition. Date of the lock would be sometime between 1910's to 1940's.

Thread Information