Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique three key safe/Brevete - Magaud de Charf - Marseille

A rare French antique iron clad three key strong box. Age under review possible 17th c.
    Only three others ever seen in 35+ years of collecting
    Brevete - Magaud de Charf - Marseille
    - all keys, latches and mechanicals fully operational -

H 39"
    W 28.25"
    D 20.5"

Feed back and offers welcome.

Best,
    Michael
    mailto:michael@hippsolutions.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safe_Detail3.jpg   Safe_Detail4.jpg   Safe_Detail1.jpg   Safe.jpg  

Default lockbox

What ae you asking for this lockbox please!

Lockward
    mailto:Markeys@ameritech.net

Hi there - would love to see some end on shots of the keys if you still have them - just out of interest. FYI - have only seen one other set of three keys like this, but no safe attached so to speak :-) Thanks Sarah and Clinton

Default Re: Antique three key safe/Brevete - Magaud de Charf - Marseille

Make it four I thin I have this safes twin. Including the Cast face on the inside of the door.
    The only thing I am missing is the small key.
    Do you have any more info about this safe, date, etc
    By the way originally I believe these where painted green, I have found paint chips on the outside and the inside of my door is green.

Let me know if you have any more info on this and I will let you know what I find as I restore mine.

Pelekan8@ gmail.com

Default Re: Antique three key safe/Brevete - Magaud de Charf - Marseille

Have recently found and purchased a very similar Brevete - Magaud de Charf - Marseille strong box in Cairo Egypt of all places. It has its three keys. The smaller key controlling the access the the two bigger keys. The model I have has some slight differences with the model in the pictures shown here, but is substantially the same. I find it hard to belive that this is a 17 century item - it strikes me as 18 century. I would be very interented to have an idea of the kind of price I should be asking for it.

Question Re: Antique three key safe/Brevete - Magaud de Charf - Marseille

I am an antique safe collector living in The Netherlands. In my collection there are all kinds of European safes built between 1800-1900. I own several of these Charf safes and other more interesting hobnail safes. Most people think that these hobnail safes have been manufactured in the 16th/17th century, but most of them are (much) younger. This Magaud/Charf safe has been made between 1850-1860!

Safekeys ( safekey@planet.nl )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails d45.jpg  

The LSC Luxury Safes Company (www.luxury-safes-company.com) in Germany specializes in the search for and acquisition of antique safes, as well as their restoration and refinement.

We have several of these here posted antique safes and are always happy to help and share our passion for these masterpieces.

For sellers: If you have an old, antique, special and / or beautiful antique safe and are interested in selling it, please email us. We buy regularly, and are willing to pay a high price, especially for special pieces.

Thread Information