Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: 'P' lock logo

Default 'P' lock logo

I've been collecting locks for just a few years and I've got a lot to learn, including the use of forums, so apologies it this has already been covered.
    This is a recent purchase I wonder if anyone knows if this type of lock has a particular intended use, or even what type of lock lock it is. It was described as a 'P lock for obvious reasons.
    It also has a distinctive logo engraved into the metal and I am hoping that someone may be able to identify it?

Second attempt to add images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P lock 1.jpeg   P lock 2.jpeg  

Hello Paul and welcome to the site.
    Unfortunately that has all the hallmarks of a Jodhpur special to me, and the generic markings are simply punched/stamped, and not engraved.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Hello Paul and welcome to the site.
    Unfortunately that has all the hallmarks of a Jodhpur special to me, and the generic markings are simply punched/stamped, and not engraved.
    Thanks Huw
    I had half expected as much and I realised that I should have used the word 'stamped' just after I pressed send.
    I suspect a good part of my collection has similar origins. It's not easy (for me) to be decide if a lock is old or just made recently using age-old techniques but I am starting to learn, the hard way. It seems that the market is awash with them.
    Do you have an tell-tale signs to look for?
    What I've noticed so far is
    -The the general look of the way steel locks have been hammered into shape might be a give-away.
    -An excess of stamped numbers and lettering on brass locks is another.
    -Simplistic keys
    -and, of course, the multi-coloured cord used to tie the keys to the locks.

Maybe this should be the subject of a topic of its own? Maybe it already is?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Challoner View Post
    Maybe this should be the subject of a topic of its own? Maybe it already is?
    It's amazing the amount of information you'll find on here if you use the search function Paul, and padlocks being especially popular have been well covered over the years. The various Indian repros and similar from Bulgaria, Syria etc have been discussed many many times, and it'd take a book to list all the points to look out for and everything important to note!

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    It's amazing the amount of information you'll find on here if you use the search function Paul, and padlocks being especially popular have been well covered over the years. The various Indian repros and similar from Bulgaria, Syria etc have been discussed many many times, and it'd take a book to list all the points to look out for and everything important to note!
    Thanks Huw. I take your point. I have started searching already and see that it's as you say. I wasn't aware of Bulgaria & Syria were part of the problem.

I also found this site to be quite revealing, in terms of types of locks available, the prices (approx. 100 rupees to the pound) and the production capacities in terms of pieces/day.
    https://m.indiamart.com/
    It didn't come up in forum search so hopefully may be of interest to members.

To be honest Paul i think they're probably only the tip of the iceberg. Whereas Aligarh and Jodhpur are the most well known and established, these days it seems they are coming from all over.
    There are a lot of countries still using very old techniques for working metals, so a lot of such workshops dotted all over the world.

Lost count a few years ago how many times you'd see antique padlocks on auction sites or online dealers for anything upto £500+ ,that were the exact padlocks being sold by online shops like scaramanga for 20 or 30 quid!

just my take,but i found 99.9 % to me is the key,certainly india keys to me are a giveaway
    thank you

Thread Information