Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I know of a few that have come across them, but I have never seen one in real life

Default GP 20th Century

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8789.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	23673
    This was the one my father saw c. 1960s hence b&w photo. I'd even forgotten they were called the 20th Century- the joys of middle age!
    Ididn't pick up the tools til the early 80s so never saw that one or any others of that type.

They were discussed in this thread too
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...ice+lock+frame

Thanks for the photos and thoughts guys.

And great thread you directed me to, HUW. My lock is referred to there, during discussions of the other variant. But, again, everyone speaks of it, and describes its operation, but says they've not seen one (and so have no photos!).

I have managed to find a single image, online, that shows my exact lock. And I am in the process of tracking down its owner, as would love more information on mine, especially time period and quality (for its time). Fortunately, that one includes its original key. Would love to have had an original key for mine. Nonetheless, the keys I have work perfectly, and I've got an assortment of really old Arthur Hough malleable blanks, some with rather decorative 'Best Quality' shanks. So will cut one of those when time permits. I was surprised at how thin the levers (eight of them) are in this lock. Very fine cuts to be made, indeed.

Suffice to say, it is a very rare lock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails George Price lock and escutcheon.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    The George Price
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G.Price spl'boltwork..jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	23675 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (73).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	23676 Some Price stuff for you anybody.

fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    fantastic.
    I had one of these in the Safe Museum. The door was left open as the chamber had a very dramatic painted Victorian picture of masked burglars with their 'dark lamps' hovering around a Price safe with empty Swag Bags.

Great info again John, I looked back at the NePlus Ultra threads and found this which Daniel and others may also find of interest- safeman's post #20.
    Again we are indebted to John (safeman) for making such incredible info available to all.

https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...e+20th+Century

Default Price latching safe lock safe

I have an idea this appeared at the end of George Price's life, when his Manager was not such a successful business as a factory manager. Price was then taken over by Gibbons at the beginning of the 20C becoming Gibbons' safe division. I have seen an early 20C advert for this safe badged as Gibbons' '20th centuy safe'.

Default Peice latching safe lock

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel John View Post
    Thanks for the photos and thoughts guys.

everyone speaks of it, and describes its operation, but says they've not seen one (and so have no photos!).
    Suffice to say, it is a very rare lock.
    I visited a now-deceased collector and mentioned having seen a Gibbons advert for this safe, with a Price lock. Without a word, he just pulled open a drawer in a large metal plan cabinet (to take the weight of the locks in it!) and showed me several of them. I was overwhelmed with all that he showed me that day and cannot remember in detail everything I saw. Afaik, his collection has been dispersed, I know not where.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    I had one of these in the Safe Museum. The door was left open as the chamber had a very dramatic painted Victorian picture of masked burglars with their 'dark lamps' hovering around a Price safe with empty Swag Bags.
    Well, wouldn't you know it, amidst my ongoing research regarding my Price safe lock, I have happened upon this: An original, beautiful condition George Price 20th Century safe, for sale.

If I were in the UK i'd be buying this in a heartbeat. I'm sure it is worth every penny of the GBP400 being asked - the lock and keys alone would be! However, I'm not in the UK!

I recall that several of you have expressed disappointment at having never seen one, so here you go... It'd be great to see someone buy this very rare example of quality English engineering, from a bygone era. Judging from the years you have spent in the industry, it is people such as yourselves that deserve the privilege of owning such a piece.

Link to eBay listing (will need to be copied and pasted into your browser's search bar):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386792668...=&toolid=10050

All the advice thus far has been most appreciated. Coincidentally, I have also managed to track down the owner of another Price lock identical to mine. With the exception of a non-original spring and key (mine), our locks are the same - Mr Palmer's being number 1, mine no 11. His also has its original key, showing that these are, indeed, Price locks (there had been a suggestion to the contrary).

Credit to James T. Palmer for taking photos of his lovely lock for me, and for providing permission for them to be published here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Price lock 1.jpg   Price lock 2.jpg   Price lock 3.jpg   Price key 1.jpg   Price key 2.jpg  

s-l1600 (1).jpg   s-l1600 (4).jpg  

Thread Information