Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Colossus

Default Giant Colossus

A few years back there was a discussion on the strongest safes ever manufactured. These included the SLS TXTL60x6, The Tann Diamond, Chubb Sovereign, The original TDR one, plus European safes and of course the New Zealand Redoubt Branch Bankers Safe. Another safe was mentioned, The South African Giant Colossus. There were no pictures just a partial copy of the brochure.
    I happened to come across one of these last week so thought i would share some pictures. Not in very good condition, just cosmetic stuff but an impressive safe nonetheless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colossus 1-r.jpg   Colossus 2 -r.jpg   Colossus 3 -r.jpg   Colossus 4-r.jpg   Colossus 5-r.jpg  

Colossus 6-r.jpg   Colossus.jpeg  

So they did reach production- well one did at least! Mentioned these in the ultimate safes thread some years back, a very rare safe indeed. I'd be surprised if there's more than a few out there, but what a lump- well done👍

https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...g-Safes/page27

Looks Fantastic.
    Aligning the door, and the hinge arrangement to align itself with the body looks interesting.
    Bank staff definitely would not be able to just slam the door and walk away.

Was it in South Africa or the USA where you saw it, interesting if it's ended up in the US.

*edit update* might not be much of a mystery -I'm guessing Empire safe have got it...

Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    Looks Fantastic.
    Aligning the door, and the hinge arrangement to align itself with the body looks interesting.
    Bank staff definitely would not be able to just slam the door and walk away.
    Good point about the door and crane hinge- looking at the angle of the mating edges between door slab and body, I'd imagine it's a challenge closing that thing. I wonder how many fingers have ended up on the floor...

Default Chatwood Special CB.

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    A few years back there was a discussion on the strongest safes ever manufactured. These included the SLS TXTL60x6, The Tann Diamond, Chubb Sovereign, The original TDR one, plus European safes and of course the New Zealand Redoubt Branch Bankers Safe. Another safe was mentioned, The South African Giant Colossus. There were no pictures just a partial copy of the brochure.
    I happened to come across one of these last week so thought i would share some pictures. Not in very good condition, just cosmetic stuff but an impressive safe nonetheless.
    Here's one that slipped through the net. The CB refers to the old Commercial Bank of Scotland.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chatwood book (24).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	694.5 KB 
ID:	23647

My Company in Glasgow were given one or two of these which we had been storing and for which we found good homes. 7 Tons each approx.

There were a number of the lighter Standard Treasuries also attacked with explosives but were similarly locked out by the deformation of the Shutter mechanism. The Bank refused to have them removed to the Chatwood Works for opening which was done in our Workshop with Bank Inspectors in careful attendance.

love that picture, proper safe

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Was it in South Africa or the USA where you saw it, interesting if it's ended up in the US.

*edit update* might not be much of a mystery -I'm guessing Empire safe have got it...
    Not Empire, Anchor safe in Michigan
    They have a ton of stuff.

Cheers it might be the one from Florida that Doug mentioned was featured in the SAVTA magazine.

Default SMP Community 5

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Cheers it might be the one from Florida that Doug mentioned was featured in the SAVTA magazine.
    On a totally different subject i have a couple of small SMP Community 5 safes that i need to get the weight on. It is not one of their current models. It is one of the older ones with the thicker door and body. I also believe it originally had the plastic fascia plate on the door with the name and grade written on the bottom of the fascia plate.
    EXT 29h x 29w x 28d
    INT 19h x 19w x 16d
    I have enclosed some pictures which will hopefully help, And if anyone has a brochure that would be wonderful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SMP 1.jpg   SMP 2.jpg   SMP 3.jpg  

Thread Information