Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Kromer book

Default Kromer book

Does anyone have this book, or a scanned copy of it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails theodore kromer catalogue (3).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Does anyone have this book, or a scanned copy of it?
    Ooooh
    We would all like to see that!
    started me thinking whether it was Theodore who supplied the German technicians to Herring Hall in 1861 for the safe challenge at the Paris Exhibition. Maybe they were browned off at Chatwood for making their own locks or something although I would have to check the dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Ooooh
    We would all like to see that!
    started me thinking whether it was Theodore who supplied the German technicians to Herring Hall in 1861 for the safe challenge at the Paris Exhibition. Maybe they were browned off at Chatwood for making their own locks or something although I would have to check the dates.
    Hello again Tom. I think it very unlikely that German lock technicians have enough skills -if any- in safe-breaking to make such an efficient job as they did in delaminating the Chatwood,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood  Paris Exhibition 1867_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	979.6 KB 
ID:	23618

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Hello again Tom. I think it very unlikely that German lock technicians have enough skills -if any- in safe-breaking to make such an efficient job as they did in delaminating the Chatwood,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood  Paris Exhibition 1867_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	979.6 KB 
ID:	23618
    They didn’t delaminate the Chatwood. They made a hole in the side, just large enough to get the wooden block out of.
    Chatwood ripped their entire safe to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    They didn’t delaminate the Chatwood. They made a hole in the side, just large enough to get the wooden block out of.
    Chatwood ripped their entire safe to bits.
    There are two very distinct sides to the copious reporting of that contest, written both by the victors (as usual) but also in America.

They reported battering a hole in the Chatwood’s side, after literally taking the side to pieces by the use of massive ** cold setts*' “ (as Safeman said) which suggests either they battered internal fireproofing away or there was limited access from splitting alone.
    One of the Germans (who was claimed to have been engaged on the day by Herring apparently after he walked by in the exhibition) was Hermann Winkler who worked for Wertheim, not Kromer (although he might have worked for both, as typically happened over here).
    The end result (in the courts) was that Chatwood won. Very soon after, Chatwoods were selling their latest barrier material which Herrings would have completely failed on.

I'd love to see that Kromer book too, although probably best I don't as I still haven't got over that Tann one you sold!

Thread Information