Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Cheers all, for the replies, I remember getting a load old Aldi protectors and tubes at one time Huw.
    It always surprised me Tom that Chatwood would use someone else's Locks, was it just a supply thing, where they got busy and couldn't keep up?
    They bought I think two batches of the locks before they made their own good ones

Cheers, I thought they must span a much longer period of Chatwoods history, with the original pork pie (all same dimension) then the stepped protector and round lock with novum type pack on the Duplex safes being later.

[QUOTE=Gary Stephenson;33515]Cheers, I thought they must span a much longer period of Chatwoods history, with the original pork pie (all same dimension) then the stepped protector and round lock with novum type pack on the Duplex safes being later.[/Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chatwood-round-locks.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	23614 middle one from Nat West 1930. Early ones I can’t give you details until next year

Cheers Tom, so that's what I meant, in the 1930s they could have used their own locks, seemed funny that they chose to use a competitors

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Cheers Tom, so that's what I meant, in the 1930s they could have used their own locks, seemed funny that they chose to use a competitors
    Not a competitor- just a supplier.
    They used American locks on some safe deposit locks (the whole idea of which they copied from America) and the cylinder lock on their night deposit traps isn’t very Chatwood (once again, the concept of which they copied from America).
    On the stepped Kromer Porkpie type lock, they may have needed a more compact lock than they made themselves- or a self locking mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Back when I was working for smp we used to see hundreds of those round protectors on the big tann RDV's used by one of the big supermarket chains.

Personally i really liked them as they were nice to work on and it was the same old problems that used to arise so were pretty predictable.

But, it was just as well the majority of problems were easy solved as the locks were held together with hardened shear screws and from memory zero parts including blanks were available. This was through the 1990s to 2000s and iirc kromer were still around back then but weren't supplying the essential spares that were desperately needed.(just like fichet bauche). As a result, most, if not all the protectors got converted over to the 520 locks.
    Hi Huw

Just a question that has nothing to do with the key locks, but supermarket chains with Tann Vaults?

Were/are they holding a lot of cash to justify a Vault?

Was it a Vault in a supermarket Huw, we used to see dual safes, with a deposit drop from 1 safe to the other in some supermarkets, but have never seen a vault in a supermarket chain/ store

Gary's right- not vaults they were big deposit dual units- Rarely worked on the lower doors, top ones saw all the heavy use. Most problems were the protector keys and la-fetton tubes and shafts.

I have seen the Stratford FTS vault doors fitted with protector locks, but at a bank

the supermarket dual safes, were they martens or garny Huw?

Thread Information