Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kellner-Chubb

Thanks. I will come back, when I find new stuff about Kellner-Chubbs.

it seems like a bit of a mongrel model between the tdr and duplextra designs, the locks are in different positions to a normal tdr and the double bitted 6k115 probably is more reminiscent of the duplextra style than the tdr, it will be interesting to try to track it down if we can get any serial numbers. the tdrs were made up to about 1970/71 i think, but it could be well be a very early model with it having the double bitted lock.

Thanks. This is the second ad of a Kellner-Chubb I have seen. It might be the same one or a second one. If I find another one I will try to get the serial.

cheers between 1963 and 1972 roughly seems to be the age range for both tdr and duplextras, with yours being an export model, it could have been given a different model name and maybe outside those dates though.

The oldest genuine Kellner of that class that I have seen was from 1978, the oldest safe of that class of any manufacturer was from 1969 and the oldest safe of any class from Kellner was from 1957. So if this Kellner-Chubb was sold before the German safes were ready it would fit your date range very much. Of course old safes and especially the government safes are not preserved well - they should have been destroyed upon decommissioning - so all this might have started earlier.

The brochures I have for the original Standard TDR’s and 1st & 2nd strength are 1973.
    Only got earlier Chatwood-Milner brochures for the Duplextra’s so dont know what bolt throw handles chubb used, but C-M’s Duplextra’s had distinctive chrome T-handles on the originals and the mk2’s, and changed to chrome 3-spoke on the mk3. Original and mk2 are 1967 and mk3 is from .1968.

If it’s offered for sale then the seller doesn’t sound very helpful- how hard can it be for them to look in 3 or 4 places and read off any numbers- probably easier to go yourself and take your picks and open the back cover for a look at the bolt work while you’re there!

The safe is 4 hours from me. Not easy to have a look.

Hiya Huw, any chance you can put up your tdr and duplextra brochures if you get the chance, the tdr ones I have are 273 and 274 reference numbers, but I don't seem to have the dated ones. did find this interesting price list though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb standard tdr safe.jpg 010.jpg  

Yep will do when I next dig them out Gary.
    The tdr’s are only date stamped on the back along with a chubb transom house address, and are ref 274 and 274/1,whereas the C-M duplextra’s had the dates printed clearly in full on the front, and ones on the back.

While pondering what handles chubb fitted on their Duplextra’s i come across a chubb brochure for the baby duplex minor and majors which are fitted with the same big chrome disc hand wheel from the bankers treasury.
    I recall dozens of c-m duplex minors and majors with the original chrome knob handles, but recall chubb’s later duplex minors having the cast chrome wulfrun type handles and then later leamington pattern castings,so I guess anything goes depending on what was in the parts bin!

Forgot to add that price list is amazing, what a timewarp it got me thinking of one I have somewhere from the 1980s. From memory it listed the largest size sovereign at £15,200? and I clearly remember the rep saying he’d take us all out to dinner if we sold one! Think his name was Birch, dick birch? My father knew him quite well.

Thread Information