Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Chatwood book, nothing in it I can see to help date it.
    Gary, the only approximate date will be from the illustration of Chatwood's Harlescott Village and Conservation which I think was dated about 1928.

The Chatwood CB Special.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chatwood book (24).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	23275 These were Specials for the Commercial Bank of Scotland. The radius on the corners was also a feature of the Special Diamond at that time. The top pivot carried an oiler which did little to prevent these doors binding. The lever handle near the bottom operated the hardened shutters in the keyways secured by the dial lock.

Quite a few Chatwoods, mainly Standard Treasury Quality. were attacked with high explosives in Central Scotland Banks in the 1950s. All resisted as the detonations did not destroy the locks due to the shutters. Distortion of the keylocks did take place however requiring full access to the locking points and considerable power in retracting the boltwork.

In the above example the safe was returned to Works to open. In Glasgow the affected Banks - British Linen Bank, Bank of Scotland, persuaded me to remove the safes to our workshop accompanied by a Cashier who was given a ringside seat. The Spiegeleisen ferro -manganese casting was completely torch and drill resisting and had to be chopped out with a variety of chisels. Then the boltwork and door released using a 10 ton hydraulic jack. By the end of the day the cashier was released as well as the payrolls.

Name:	Spiegeleisen.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	23276Spiegeleisen (mirror iron)

Many thanks, so with regard to dating that book, it could have quite an age range.

There is mention of the 1914-18 war so it is after that, also of a couple of attack tests that may be dateable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tann anchor reliance book (5).jpg   tann anchor reliance book (17).jpg  

I remember Roy Saunders reminiscing about the joys of trying to drill speigel iron as he called it. I have drilled heavy old Chatwoods with very hard stuff that looked to have a slight coppery colour/cast to it with flecks in it that was very tough to drill even with modern kit, but don't know if that was speigel iron or not.

Amazing information thanks Gary, and Safeman.

That Chatwood CB Special safe is something else.

Does any one know how many of them were made?

Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    Amazing information thanks Gary, and Safeman.

That Chatwood CB Special safe is something else.

Does any one know how many of them were made?
    The Chatwood records were passed by on by Chubb and are now held by our Team Leader Brian Morland. I have been in touch with a request for as much CB information as he can find but due to refurbishment of his Archives he cannot access the Fiche Readers meantime. The 1930s seem likely.
    The CB line was a Special Production for a Scottish Bank and were put into strorage with my Company at the time of the main bank closures in the 70s. They, and their Chubb equivalent, were quite a cost burden and were offered to me for disposal. (keys included which was unusual).
    The Chatwood product line was changing before the war. The top cash safes were now very different in appearance with the door corners radiused like their strongroom doors and with round conventional bolts. I assume that the doors and lockcase framework were one piece cast steel.
    They were now named Special Treasury, Special Diamond and the ‘Special CB’.
    I mentioned recently that the weight of the thickest doors caused excessive wear on the top pivot and were fitted with an oiler. The draw file marks at various points around the door bear testimony. Chatwood’s identification and lock codes on the top door edge also suffered.

Name:	Chatwood Spec.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	23285 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood Diamond 60x36x32  4000 kgs.. (2).JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	23287
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chatwood book (24).jpg  

Wrong boltwork.

Name:	Chatwood Spl..Diamond.  JPG (1).JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	23288 Apologies.

found the microfilm training manuals, knew I had them somewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EDR isolator (14).jpg   microfilm index.jpg   microfilm box.jpg   EDR isolator (31).jpg   record protection file microfilm (13).jpg  

record protection file microfilm (33).jpg   record protection file microfilm (53).jpg  

Great Pictures Safeman.

Gary where do you get all this documentation from?

Its very complete, and in depth.

Was a Chubb safe engineer for a lot of years and tried never to let them throw anything away without me copying or collecting it, also was lucky to be in the right place at the right time when long serving engineers retired and needed their garage space back.

Thread Information