Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For all you Frederick S. Holmes fans out there...here are the latest updates:

Very nice!

In the advertisement document on p.53 is a Yale bank deposit lock with indicator. I do not know what its purpose is. Do you know?

I presume the concealed indicator was an added measure of security.

I did find a reference that the Yale concealed-indicator lock is catalog number 3705CC, so people who know Yale locks, or have access to period catalogs, might be able to comment. https://archive.org/stream/sim_banke..._47_3_djvu.txt

Also, I note in the ad that the key envelope says "Indicator 4150" and there is a 4150 on the lock body (which would be concealed when the safe deposit door is closed). Might this simply be a blind key code, or something equivalent?

Regarding the Yale concealed-indicator locks, David Hovey kindly sent me pages from a Yale catalog that describe these locks. The locks, combined with vault operating procedures, assures the customer that the two keys received are the only ones. Here is the original advertisement along with the two catalog pages that describe the procedure. I assume the bank would receive a sheet spelling out the precise steps in more detail than we see in the catalog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yale advert.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	324.1 KB 
ID:	23338 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1,012.0 KB 
ID:	23339 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	912.4 KB 
ID:	23340

I remember seeing a patent for an X-ray-proof safe deposit key envelope, to assure customers that their new keys could not have been copied by that method. I can't find that patent right now.

Thanks, very interesting mechanism.

Default The hinge crane configurations...

The introduction assumes type 1A is the strongest. I say it is the most secure, but not necessarily the strongest:
    All of the 2 types are least secure because anyone with a floor jack could [having achieved access of course], lift the hinge off the pins, leaving the door hanging from nothing but the locking bolts. All but 2D would however bear the weight of the door when opened, better than any of type 1. 2D would kill you as fast as 1D

Type 1A is not as strong physically, but it prevents the type 2 flaw [mentioned above] when closed and carry's all of the door's weight best when open. When open it would allow the door to be lifted off the center pins.. but what would you do with a loose door on your ... hands?

Type 1B is physically weaker both open and closed because the weight is all only on the bottom block which causes more work and wear on those bearings.

Type 1C is bad for the same reasons as 1B

Type 1D would simply drop the door on you as soon as it is opened. Not good.

Oh, and type 4! That hands you both the door and the hinge crane without invitation. DO NOT OPEN THOSE DOORS !!!!
    Last edited by Brian Smith; 04-11-23 at 10:41 PM.

On the vault hinges I dont think that security really comes into the equation, at least on the Cleveland Fed door where the wrenches to remove the hinge bolts are readily available. And even if they werent I doubt hinge removal was ever a security concern. I could be wrong on that but as it never appeared to be a concern on the smaller cannonball round doors, why on the big doors?
    However as far as strength goes side loading on the frame hinge pins is considerable and I get a sneaky feeling the arrangement of 1A gives the greatest strength in response to the side loading of both top and bottom frame pins. Interesting topic.

Thread Information