Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default New Member - Simon Clementson

Simon has just poped into the Bournemouth Archive and we spent a fantastic couple of hours chatting. I'm sure many of you know him espacialy on the Safe/Strongrooms/Vault forum. He's interested in all things safe but also has a soft spot for Chatwood and Ratner - please welcome him to the Forum

Top bloke, although thought it was Sentry he had a soft spot for 8-)_

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Simon has just poped into the Bournemouth Archive and we spent a fantastic couple of hours chatting. I'm sure many of you know him espacialy on the Safe/Strongrooms/Vault forum. He's interested in all things safe but also has a soft spot for Chatwood and Ratner - please welcome him to the Forum
    Who doesn’t have a soft spot for Chatwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Silas Herring?

Knew I recognised Simon’s name but wasn’t sure where from. Turns out it wasn’t from my days in the trade but from when selling off my safe locks and stuff on ebay years ago- top bloke indeed was always a pleasure to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Silas Herring?
    Don’t you remember Huw? In 1861 Silas provided soft spots all over his safe for Samuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Tom, I didn't know that Chatwood's had any soft spots.

In fact I believe that the Company created the most significant improvements to the strength of safes in the Victorian times if not ever, and many of which are being ignored by some of the sheet metal safes manufactured in current times.

The first was the 'T' frame (orange) into which the door fastened, and the second was the 'T' solid flange lockcase.(yellow)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood boltwork comparison._edited-2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	23024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chat. 'T' Frame_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	23023 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wedge.JPG 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	23025 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lever fulcrum..JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	23026

The Cornhill Robbery of 1865 demonstrated the weakness of what were until then believed to be the strongest available. The safe, a Milner Holdfast was not opened by the above technique but by the last one.

Name:	Cornhill Robbery.JPG 
Size:	729.5 KB 
ID:	23027 Samuel Chatwood took the opportunity of writing to the newspapers of the time explaining that the method used would have been totally useless against his new security principals.

Please excuse me Tom for having taken this opportunity to get my admiration for Samuel Chatwood off my chest

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Tom, I didn't know that Chatwood's had any soft spots.

In fact I believe that the Company created the most significant improvements to the strength of safes in the Victorian times if not ever, and many of which are being ignored by some of the sheet metal safes manufactured in current times.

The first was the 'T' frame (orange) into which the door fastened, and the second was the 'T' solid flange lockcase.(yellow)

Name:	Chatwood boltwork comparison._edited-2.jpg 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	23024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chat. 'T' Frame_edited-1.jpg 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	23023 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wedge.JPG 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	23025 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lever fulcrum..JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	23026

The Cornhill Robbery of 1865 demonstrated the weakness of what were until then believed to be the strongest available. The safe, a Milner Holdfast was not opened by the above technique but by the last one.

Name:	Cornhill Robbery.JPG 
Size:	729.5 KB 
ID:	23027 Samuel Chatwood took the opportunity of writing to the newspapers of the time explaining that the method used would have been totally useless against his new security principals.

Please excuse me Tom for having taken this opportunity to get my admiration for Samuel Chatwood off my chest
    You forgot the magnificence of the door slab, machined into cones on one side before molten steel was poured to cover the cones and complete the thickness of the slab, which quenched the steel into hardened steel in the middle of the slab, always at an angle to any drill that was used, wherever it was drilled, thus snapping drills

Thread Information