Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default R Tann 12 Corner Defiance Safe

Hi,
    I have an R Tanns 12 corner Defiance safe that was left in the house when I bought it.
    The best I can make out for the serial number is 472 (if there are other numbers age has taken its toll).
    I would be interested in its history and value and how best to market it (we live in southern France).
    Recently I saw one sold in the US for $US9000.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010200.JPG  

Where in the US did you see it sold for that much?
    Regards
    Tom

Default R Tanns Defiance safe

Well I know it says that it is sold, but if it actually sold for anything like that much, it shows only one thing, that the price of anything is what you can get for it. It didnt even have the pan to the inside of the door.
    The Milner one shown at a similar price, has a Chatwood escutcheon on it and I would expect neither of them to fetch more than £100 each if put in an auction in Britain or on ebay. Sorry, but that is the reality.

Default R Tann's safe

I'd do best to sell it in the US!

Does anyone have any history info that could trace its origins (here's a photo of what's written on the back) ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010207.JPG  

Post Tann safe

I did see an antique safe collector/dealer in US also asking similar 28giggle29
    [insert your choice of adjective] prices for antique safes, although clean and very well presented. Tom's right - can't see anyone paying that money in UK! Old safes usually cost more to remove than people will pay for ownership.
    Looks like this one could have been shipped out as s/h in 1915?

Hi Guys , looking for some info on robert tann defiance safe ....this one has round sides R.Tann's defiance safe and lock works london field LONDON.E.... were do I find the serial number? ..have found the number 50 on the end of the top bolt...

Thread Information