Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Hobbs & Co London - Padlock Manufacture Date?

I recently purchased a Hobbs & Co. padlock on EBAY. The lock came in its original box and wrapper and is in unused condition, with 2 original keys. The seller recently posted for sale 2 identical Hobbs & Co. locks, each new and in the original boxes with 2 original keys. Each of the three locks have different serial numbers. Does any one know the approximate date of manufacture of this padlock? I tried to upload images of my lock but the upload kept failing so I included the ebay link instead. I could not upload image in a PDF either. Maybe the file size is too big.
    Last edited by bacade; 14-07-21 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bacade View Post
    I recently purchased a Hobbs & Co. padlock on EBAY. The lock came in its original box and wrapper and is in unused condition, with 2 original keys. The seller recently posted for sale 2 identical Hobbs & Co. locks, each new and in the original boxes with 2 original keys. Each of the three locks have different serial numbers. Does any one know the approximate date of manufacture of this padlock? I tried to upload images of my lock but the upload kept failing so I included the ebay link instead. I could not upload image in a PDF either. Maybe the file size is too big.
    I copied your image from eBay see thumbnail attached, I have no experience with such matters, but since it is coming from India, I sincerely hope that they are not counterfeits!

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hobbs&CoPadlock.jpg  

Thanks for helping out with the image. I am familiar with the counterfeit risk concerning locks from India but I think the precision quality of the lock and the keys, the original labeled box, all lead me to believe these locks are the real McCoy. If it is a counterfeit they did not cut any corners at all. Wish I could upload an image of the box cover. Is the max size for a file upload 2MB? I tried to compress the image to reduce the file size but that did not work either. Sorry about that. Never used to have upload problems before.

Looks too well done to be fake Usually the keys are a huge indicator that it's fake. The stamping looks too clear and precise on the markings.

I'd be confident to say that it's real.

Thanks KitBear. I spent more time examining it very closely with a magnifying glass and the precision of the manufacturing is excellent in every aspect. What is the best way to find out the vintage of this model padlock? Note: The box label says Hobbs & Hart but the lock is stamped Hobbs & Co.

Thread Information