Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Unusual boltwork add-on

There's a round Mosler vault door for sale on eBay currently, which is fairly rare. It's in Chicago at the site of a former TCF bank branch but I don't know the address.

What's odd is some extra hardware in the center of the door. There is a bar covering the combination locks, and some other extras to the left of the lower lock. Additionally, the time lock and part of the mechanism seem to be mounted on a large rectangular plate which is then fastened to the door itself. I've not seen this before.

My first guess is that the door has some sort of emergency exit mechanism added to it and I'm hoping the experts here can clarify what's going on.

Here is a close-up --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCF Bank Chicago 4b.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	319.0 KB 
ID:	22575

Here are the four images from the auction:

Name:	TCF Bank Chicago 1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	22576 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCF Bank Chicago 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	22577 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCF Bank Chicago 3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	22578 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCF Bank Chicago 4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	22579

Back in 2019 user HarryPontiac was looking for a big door to purchase. I sent him a PM about this, I hope he sees it.

Looking at the auction for the corresponding rectangular door resolved some of my questions about the round door. Most of the extra hardware seems to be an elaborate relocker I can't remember seeing on any other Mosler doors. So, I'm not sure it came from the factory this way.

Has anybody else seen this on Mosler doors?

Here is part of a picture from the other auction --

Name:	TCF rectangular 4b.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	22580

Here are two overall views --

Name:	TCF rectangular 3.jpg 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	22581 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCF rectangular 4.jpg 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	22582

I have never torn down one of those doors but I remember mention of a hidden relocker. So likely it was factory.

Are these Mosler 11s on both doors?

I've be wracking the part of my brain that still works and this is all I can come up with.

40 plus years ago I saw the same type system and am fairly sure it was on an old plate door at a small jewelry store. At first glance I thought it looked Rube Goldberg, but closer examination showed it to be well thought out and constructed. I want to say it fired two relockers; may have been two separate installations to pretty much cover the entire door.

I may have seen another one, but the that could be my memory playing tricks on me. Someone built a good business installing them.

I dont know what I was thinking when I said that relocker system was factory. I guess I thought it was hidden and the cover plate was removed. I looked at 6 other Mosler doors of the same model and none have that exposed relocker. During the 1920's-30's several aftermarket devises became popular. Many were straight up tear gas type protectors. Others were add on relockers. Annekin comes to mind. Little doubt there were others. Additionally OEM relockers showed up. As I had mentioned I had heard Mosler had a hidden RL in that model door, something I cannot personally verify. However Diebold did add a hidden RL on a model built in 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    ... Others were add on relockers. Annekin comes to mind. ...
    Thank you! Annekin was the name I couldn't remember.

I seem to remember some type of label, possibly paper, on the inside of the door, but don't remember what it said. I lost all my notes in a flood. The boxes containing the notes were up off the floor, and I didn't realize they had gotten wet until mold appeared months later. What a mess!

Thread Information