Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Keys for old Samsonite/Schwader luggage locks...

Hello,

I'm trying to find out if there is a feasible way to get a key made for an old (1940's tp '50's) Samsonite/Schwader luggage lock.

Have a few luggage pieces missing the key. Or is there another way, short of lock picking, to make the lock workable?

Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by rick1959 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm trying to find out if there is a feasible way to get a key made for an old (1940's tp '50's) Samsonite/Schwader luggage lock.
    Have a few luggage pieces missing the key. Or is there another way, short of lock picking, to make the lock workable?
    Thanks for your time!
    An image of the lock would be helpful, any code number found on the lock? There are many pre-cut luggage keys available and although many are now discontinued an olde time locksmith can likely be of assistance. Also, if you have a code as are often found on trunk locks, a key could be made from that number.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    An image of the lock would be helpful, any code number found on the lock? There are many pre-cut luggage keys available and although many are now discontinued an olde time locksmith can likely be of assistance. Also, if you have a code as are often found on trunk locks, a key could be made from that number.

Pete Schifferli
    Thank You Pete!

Here are a few pictures of thr lock, key and works.

Sadly I've found no number on the lock after looking everywhere.

Samsonite sent me a few keys to try, but no success.

If there were a way to create a master key...I suppose that's not likely.

And I've yet to find llocksmith in south Florida able to help.

In sincere appreciation, Rick :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LOCK1.jpg   LOCK2.jpg   LOCK3.jpg  

Default The photo of the key....

The key pictured was one of the keys from Samsonite.

It was one of two keys they gave me to try. This one fit the lock but didn't open or close mechanism. So it's the right shape, just the wrong cut.

Thanks for your time.... :-)

Default Keys for old Samsonite/Schwader luggage locks...

There not lot of locksmith carry the key for any luggage. They don't have people coming in lot to have them cut key. I do know that some locksmith any set of tryout key for it but that would be hard to find one that does. Just have to find lock shop that caryy luggage key only if i find something that may help.....Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    There not lot of locksmith carry the key for any luggage. They don't have people coming in lot to have them cut key. I do know that some locksmith any set of tryout key for it but that would be hard to find one that does. Just have to find lock shop that caryy luggage key only if i find something that may help.....Tim

Thank You Tim! :-)

Thread Information