Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Georgian Keys How were they made? And what are the made of?

I am amazed at the proliferation of the so called Georgian keys of the late 1700' and early 1800's. There appears to be quite a few of these for sale and in collections. I bought one several years ago and cut it open just to see if I could see the supposed chisel cuts where the ward cut is curved. And I could see them. However also on the same key is a spot that makes me think the key was originally cast. Now I realise that I have nowhere near the skill to hand chisel one of these keys. Surprisingly tho a student of U.S. blacksmith Kevin Moreau has succeeded in doing just that. I have not been in contact with him as of yet but plan on tracking him down. Anyone have some info on these keys? And is anyone currently making copies in the UK. By hand that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    I am amazed at the proliferation of the so called Georgian keys of the late 1700' and early 1800's. There appears to be quite a few of these for sale and in collections. I bought one several years ago and cut it open just to see if I could see the supposed chisel cuts where the ward cut is curved. And I could see them. However also on the same key is a spot that makes me think the key was originally cast. Now I realise that I have nowhere near the skill to hand chisel one of these keys. Surprisingly tho a student of U.S. blacksmith Kevin Moreau has succeeded in doing just that. I have not been in contact with him as of yet but plan on tracking him down. Anyone have some info on these keys? And is anyone currently making copies in the UK. By hand that is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Danny Ritson.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	23585 Try your luck here Doug. Danny learned his skills from his uncle Tommy Watson, a friend and one-time colleague of mine who died quite recently.

Tommy made a key for my Victorian James Gray Bankers Safe as the original had been stolen from the Tann Safe Museum.

Name:	James Grey.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	23586 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Key.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	23587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gray Lock & Key.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	23588

Tommy's key centre. Hope this helps Doug. Best wishes .... John.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post

Name:	Danny Ritson.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	23585 Try your luck here Doug. Danny learned his skills from his uncle Tommy Watson, a friend and one-time colleague of mine who died quite recently.

Tommy made a key for my Victorian James Gray Bankers Safe as the original had been stolen from the Tann Safe Museum.

Name:	James Grey.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	23586 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Key.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	23587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gray Lock & Key.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	23588

Tommy's key centre. Hope this helps Doug. Best wishes .... John.
    Just found this....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box of Wards lock.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	23589

spoke to Danny not too long ago, a pal of mine found the back of a strong room door initialled, and we wondered if it was by Tommy, turned out it was, amazing what they could produce without modern machinery

Oh my Lord now I see making the curved chisel cuts from the side as well. Although that might have been a little easier as it is a shorter cut to be made. Thanks for that one. And 9 levers as well.

It is obvious that the chisels used had to be made to do the tiny cuts. Has anyone ever established the exact makeup of the steel used for the keys? Also has anyone ever heard of lost wax casting being done using steel during the late 1700's?

The UK lock museum have a video of such keys being cut with curved steel chisels. Quite quick to do once proficient at it .

Default key-cutting with hand chisels

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    The UK lock museum have a video of such keys being cut with curved steel chisels. Quite quick to do once proficient at it .
    Is there a link where the video can be seen online/downloaded?
    I cannot see it on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbbramah View Post
    Is there a link where the video can be seen online/downloaded?
    I cannot see it on the website.
    No idea Peter, I saw it years ago on VHS ...

Thread Information