Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 945 bicentric

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    thank you,Pete
    plugs are .507x1.513 includes cam lip
    And the keyway(s)?

Pete

side marked lb on plug takes 998lb ,998gl that is all i have that fits on the case below plug is 2b2-94
    side marked dd on plug took 998pl,998smk(would not fit-998s,yale s,sa,se,sf,n998sc) on case below plug is2c2-94
    the yale pl might be a old safe key ?
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    side marked lb on plug takes 998lb ,998gl that is all i have that fits on the case below plug is 2b2-94
    side marked dd on plug took 998pl,998smk(would not fit-998s,yale s,sa,se,sf,n998sc) on case below plug is2c2-94
    the yale pl might be a old safe key ?
    thank you
    I think PL is the multiplex master key to fit L and P families of keyways which were introduced in 1934. The GLP group was a family of 27 different single key sections, much like the present day GST group. It was later discovered that the way they were made was in error and that the S and T families introduced ca. 1899 could also interchange by key section.*

*adapted from Been There, Done That!, memoir of Billy B. Edwards, Jr. (BBE), (c) 2014

Pete

Default 945 bicentric

Have some information on Bicentric padlock. Give some idea of what key to use. May be hard to read but i got it for while. Also little information on Bicentric Yale Mortise lock. Nice work and information of taken the lock apart...Tim....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage RARE BICENTRIC YALE LOCK Mortise Cylinder W2 Key Holes #1126 No Keys [$26.50] 8.jpg   Bicentric Super Pin Tumbler.jpg  

Default 945 bicentric

Don't know if the first one came out but try again..Tim...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bicentric Super Pin Tumbler.jpg  

thank you ,timothy and Pete, appreciated the help
    it helped alot

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I think PL is the multiplex master key to fit L and P families of keyways which were introduced in 1934. The GLP group was a family of 27 different single key sections, much like the present day GST group. It was later discovered that the way they were made was in error and that the S and T families introduced ca. 1899 could also interchange by key section.*

*adapted from Been There, Done That!, memoir of Billy B. Edwards, Jr. (BBE), (c) 2014

Pete
    Hi Pete, just misinterpreted a little. Yale does have a L family of keyways and they are associated with the G and P families. There actually is a LP section that will operate all of the two families, but that key is never represented as PL. PL is a single keyway/section with a few specific use designations. The image is a picture of some documentation I have on it. Sorry for the poor quality, it was originally drawn on vellum in 1935. I don't know why it rotates when you click the thumbnail either.
    BBE.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1449.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	262.3 KB 
ID:	22460

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    Hi Pete, just misinterpreted a little. Yale does have a L family of keyways and they are associated with the G and P families. There actually is a LP section that will operate all of the two families, but that key is never represented as PL. PL is a single keyway/section with a few specific use designations. The image is a picture of some documentation I have on it. Sorry for the poor quality, it was originally drawn on vellum in 1935. I don't know why it rotates when you click the thumbnail either.
    BBE.
    Thanks for the clarification Billy, I rotated your thumbnail:

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YalePLsection.jpg  

Thanks for the clarification Billy, I rotated your thumbnail:

Pete
    Billy, here's an image of a seemingly different Yale PL blank from my collection, see thumbnail attached. Definitely appears to be a "double milled" multiplex master same as shown in Nathan's earlier image! I likely got my two samples from a colleague on ClearStar Security Network?

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YalePLsection2.jpg  

Billy, here's an image of a seemingly different Yale PL blank from my collection, see thumbnail attached. Definitely appears to be a "double milled" multiplex master same as shown in Nathan's earlier image! I likely got my two samples from a colleague on ClearStar Security Network?

Pete Schifferli
    Obviously a mismarked key. Note the stamping is misaligned and probably just mismarked after the second milling. I was in charge of the key milling department, key bitting and cylinder assembly and that just isn't done. A customer reading that marking would get the wrong key or the whole thing would be rejected, someone got lazy.
    BBE.

Thread Information