Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New vault door

Default New vault door

This isn't an antique, but there is interest here in round vault doors. Most of which are antiques.

Gunnebo Security Group has a round door they call the Centurion-RD, see https://www.gunnebosafestorage.com/e...s/Centurion-RD for example. It looks like antique doors in general principles. It does have a flat bottom like the modern product from Vault Storage Incorporated (VSI). It uses roughly the same boltwork as Benjamin Tripps's from 1906, with the traditional 24 locking bolts. And sadly (to me) it seems to include a fair amount of electronics (keypad outside, and the image shows a wiring harness on the inside).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gunnebo Centurion-RD.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	570.4 KB 
ID:	22401 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gunnebo Centurion-RD outside.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	22402

In 2011 they announced a contract for a door in Qatar for a private gold reserve (https://web.archive.org/web/20150504...rproduced.aspx), this might be the same product.

[QUOTE=wylk;32387]This isn't an antique, but there is interest here in round vault doors. Most of which are antiques.

Gunnebo Security Group has a round door they call the Centurion-RD,

Wylk, thank you for this which I would never have come across otherwise.
    Amazing for Gunnebo and the UL to make this video of the UL 608 modular
    Class 2 (1 hour) test public.

I see that ECB-S Grade X-XII is claimed but I am unfamiliar with the criteria.

Mention is also made of the use of the burning bar (packed lance), but they
    actually use a straight line 180° oxy/gas torch with fluxing rod, (and hose).
    Thanks again – most interesting.

The old Chubb R&D team will have apoplexy
    if they see this!

It’s amusing they make a point of saying its certified as grades X - XII , and use wording like “withstanding the severest break-in attacks” and “provides the highest levels of security”, when its not even to the highest grade within EN 1143-1, the highest of which is actually XIII !!

I’ve mentioned before that German manufacturer Stacke was the only company producing a door to the highest grade XIII, but I’m sure the others should have caught up by now!

[QUOTE=wylk;32387]This isn't an antique, but there is interest here in round vault doors. Most of which are antiques.

" It does have a flat bottom like the modern product from Vault Storage Incorporated (VSI)."

This doesn't sound right - perhaps like the standard automatic ramp retraction system the floor at the entrance rises and falls with the opening and closure of the door.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    This doesn't sound right - perhaps like the standard automatic ramp retraction system the floor at the entrance rises and falls with the opening and closure of the door.
    Safeman, if you look closely at the photos it is a flat bottom door just like the American Vault Structures (VSI) doors as wylk says.
    On these modern lightweight versions they’ve greatly simplified construction by truncating the bottom of the door slab to avoid the need for the complexities of the usual bridges, lowered floor pits/moving floors like you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Safeman, if you look closely at the photos it is a flat bottom door just like the American Vault Structures (VSI) doors as wylk says.
    On these modern lightweight versions they’ve greatly simplified construction by truncating the bottom of the door slab to avoid the need for the complexities of the usual bridges, lowered floor pits/moving floors like you mentioned.
    Thank you Huw - much obliged.

Remembering that I’d posted (many years ago) about the Gunnebo Qatar door that wylk mentioned , I set out to find it- now 36 pages back, posted in 2013.
    I needn’t have bothered, turns out Gunnebo’s link to the details only lasted a few years with the broken link being removed in 2017. From memory the walls were several metres thick and the door and frame weighed around 70 tons, so it was a monster compared to this 9 ton mass market offering (Centurion).

Huw,

Could you please not remove broken links? In this case, the broken link can be copy-and-pasted into archive.org and the original article retrieved. This is not possible if the link is removed. There are other examples of links that are useful yet broken, such as a company that changes domain name, or that includes the title of an article in the URL that can be searched for, or that simply switch from .html to .php suffixes.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Huw,

Could you please not remove broken links? In this case, the broken link can be copy-and-pasted into archive.org and the original article retrieved. This is not possible if the link is removed. There are other examples of links that are useful yet broken, such as a company that changes domain name, or that includes the title of an article in the URL that can be searched for, or that simply switch from .html to .php suffixes.

Thanks!
    Wylk, you need to speak to Brian.

The central bolt work unit is the at least in German famous one from Leicher with five sides glass. Patent DE4313381.

And I would like to point out, that links are generally not allowed in this forum. ("About Antique-Locks.com" in the "What's New & Forum information" section)
    Last edited by Cepasaccus; 19-09-20 at 09:47 AM.

Thread Information