Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    118
    Country: France

    Default chatwood round safe research

    hi guys. some years ago, if my memory work well, i saw an advertisement for a chatwood round safe, round door, as the very desirable mosler cannonball. at this moment i was not so obsessed by old safe and now i seriously regret not being interested. i am not sure for the chatwood manufacturer claim by the seller but sure that was announced as a british maker.
    on the photo it was sand blasted without embase as the mosler. i do not remember any brand marking but it's by far now !
    i made some research and curiously i have not found anything. the price was absolutely insane but if currently i fall on something like that at a decent price i will be able to brave the english Covid quarantaine for french visitors entering to collect.
    any details on this chimera is welcome

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    147
    Country: United States

    Default

    Proceed cautiously. Once you go round you will be addicted, there is no coming back... lol

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    147
    Country: United States

    Default

    To bad your not on this side of the pond and here in the Midwest. This Victor cannonball turned up on Facebook marketplace yesterday in Minnesota. It looks to be an early model with the round handle for turning the door. Also kind of rough and missing the time lock. Asking $600 obo. I messaged with some questions but have not got an answer. Not really interested merely curious.

    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...47638582975725

    1184056701022203728898873721571936055537 1

    1184996131022203729038877249243556104226 1

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    585
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    hi guys. some years ago, if my memory work well, i saw an advertisement for a chatwood round safe, round door, as the very desirable mosler cannonball. at this moment i was not so obsessed by old safe and now i seriously regret not being interested. i am not sure for the chatwood manufacturer claim by the seller but sure that was announced as a british maker.
    on the photo it was sand blasted without embase as the mosler. i do not remember any brand marking but it's by far now !
    i made some research and curiously i have not found anything. the price was absolutely insane but if currently i fall on something like that at a decent price i will be able to brave the english Covid quarantaine for french visitors entering to collect.
    any details on this chimera is welcome
    We've been here before Stephane. September 2007 #12.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stephane.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	22393
    Here's some more photographs.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder ex-Tann Museum..JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	351.4 KB 
ID:	22394 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood Cylinder safe door..JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	22395 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood circular door.boltwork.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	22396

    Best Regards ..... John.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    118
    Country: France

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00247 View Post
    To bad your not on this side of the pond and here in the Midwest. This Victor cannonball turned up on Facebook marketplace yesterday in Minnesota. It looks to be an early model with the round handle for turning the door. Also kind of rough and missing the time lock. Asking $600 obo. I messaged with some questions but have not got an answer. Not really interested merely curious.

    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...47638582975725

    1184056701022203728898873721571936055537 1

    1184996131022203729038877249243556104226 1
    absolutely too far from me. if i living in US sure one of this beauty, even in this condition, would have been in the garage !

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    118
    Country: France

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    We've been here before Stephane. September 2007 #12.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stephane.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	22393
    Here's some more photographs.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder ex-Tann Museum..JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	351.4 KB 
ID:	22394 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood Cylinder safe door..JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	22395 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood circular door.boltwork.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	22396



    Best Regards ..... John.


    Thanks John to confirm. now i am sure that was a chatwood round safe. the small chubb with round door seem to have a very human size so you just still increase my desire on this kind of safe.
    merci beaucoup Monsieur !

    i keep my eyes on but doubt to find in europe.

  7. #7
    Huw Eastwood is offline
    Moderator
    Safes Strongrooms & Vaults
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,645
    Country: Wales

    Default

    Bonsoir stephane! going from memory, I’m 99% sure both the chubb and chatwood round door safes were made specifically for uk dairies - the Chubb is often called their “milk safe”, but the chatwood is more often called the “cylinder safe” or by its affectionate nickname “the bomb”.

    If you do a search for any of those titles (on here) you will find numerous previous discussions like John says. Also a few examples where they’ve popped up for sale.
    A few years ago I asked about the original chatwood cylinder livery for a working miniature I was making and TomG kindly answered and provided the details.

    As you already know, both safes are rare, with the chatwood probably the most sought after by an undisputed mile - but, (there’s always a but!!) I now know of 6 chatwood cylinder safes here in the uk, whereas I only know of 2 of the Chubb’s.

    Incidentally- i had the chance to buy a superb, original condition Chubb Milk safe for about £300 back in 1986 or 87 - when I was a young ‘un. I probably could have got it for £250, but I didn’t buy it, as it was a lot of money back then and i probably ended up blowing it on far more important stuff like girls, chinese/Indian take-aways, weightlifting equipment or beer.

    Good luck in your quest to find one- its real satisfaction for many of us when an enthusiast like yourself - with a genuine interest, finds these rare old safes as you’re doing it for all the right reasons, and not just to show off or sell it immediately for profit, so wish the best of luck to you

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    118
    Country: France

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Bonsoir stephane! going from memory, I’m 99% sure both the chubb and chatwood round door safes were made specifically for uk dairies - the Chubb is often called their “milk safe”, but the chatwood is more often called the “cylinder safe” or by its affectionate nickname “the bomb”.

    If you do a search for any of those titles (on here) you will find numerous previous discussions like John says. Also a few examples where they’ve popped up for sale.
    A few years ago I asked about the original chatwood cylinder livery for a working miniature I was making and TomG kindly answered and provided the details.

    As you already know, both safes are rare, with the chatwood probably the most sought after by an undisputed mile - but, (there’s always a but!!) I now know of 6 chatwood cylinder safes here in the uk, whereas I only know of 2 of the Chubb’s.

    Incidentally- i had the chance to buy a superb, original condition Chubb Milk safe for about £300 back in 1986 or 87 - when I was a young ‘un. I probably could have got it for £250, but I didn’t buy it, as it was a lot of money back then and i probably ended up blowing it on far more important stuff like girls, chinese/Indian take-aways, weightlifting equipment or beer.

    Good luck in your quest to find one- its real satisfaction for many of us when an enthusiast like yourself - with a genuine interest, finds these rare old safes as you’re doing it for all the right reasons, and not just to show off or sell it immediately for profit, so wish the best of luck to you
    thanks Huw for encouragement. Girls and bar experiences made essentials souvenirs so don’t regret. With less than 10 round chatwood in england i doubt to find but don’t despair.
    in this case you probably will be the first to know !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    705
    Country: United States

    Default chatwood round safe research

    That it really nice old safe. This is first time seeing it. As look like they didn't make a whole lot of that safe or maybe they was all destroy them. Would like to have one but don't think she going to like a big safe in our apartment for it. Beside that safe way to heavy to have in apartment.....Tim....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, UK
    Posts
    27
    Country: UK

    Default Chatwood B O M B safe

    This is a Chatwood B O M B for reference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210115_204627.jpg  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •