Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Adamantium Concrete

Was just reading a Tann bankers safe brochure and got intrigued about Adamantium concrete.
    I googled it and found it had steel shot in it of some sort, and the concrete when cured, pulled away from the shot meaning the shot would rotate.
    Does anyone know any more about it, as it seems interesting.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Security Concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    Was just reading a Tann bankers safe brochure and got intrigued about Adamantium concrete.
    I googled it and found it had steel shot in it of some sort, and the concrete when cured, pulled away from the shot meaning the shot would rotate.
    Does anyone know any more about it, as it seems interesting.
    Thanks in advance.
    Adamantium was a registered name for a high security concrete back in the 1930's. The term security concrete referred to the high compressive strength of the material but high tensile strength is the main criteria to resist penetration by mechanical force.
    Significant improvements were made to increase resistance during the 70's and 80's but this was mainly in the use of internal reinforcement to prevent the removal of large sections of concrete by exploiting the shear lines within the structure.
    The use of steel shot was to counteract the effectiveness of the dia-tube (core drill) after a series of successful attacks. As a diamond tipped tube created it's cut the shot would accumulate in the spoil and break off sections of the cutting edge leading to a drill failure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hilti Drill test..jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	22288 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Core drill 100mm_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	22289

Thanks Safeman.
    I figured that it would work in that way.
    Not sure how many of the modern safes would deal with a big Hilti Core Rig attached to them.
    Great photos.

Not sure without checking brochures what Tann safes Adamantium was fitted to, but what he is describing sounds a bit like the Bankers cash range which used to have short steel rods in the barrier.
    I think Gunnebo do a version of their grade 6 trident range that can be rated with core drill resistance specifically, but any barrier can be penetrated eventually with tools and time.
    Some Tann barrier pictures, probably not Adamantium, but gives an idea what cores or other tools have to deal with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails core drille srd wall (14).jpg   sr wall core (1).JPG   sr wall core (2).jpg   tann demountable barrier.jpg  

[QUOTE=Gary Stephenson; ....some Tann barrier pictures, probably not Adamantium, but gives an idea what cores or other tools have to deal with.[/QUOTE]

Hello Gary,

Would it be possible to check the source of the core photographs for me.
    I've never seen security concrete with aggregate larger than 12 mm. Nor are there any visible signs of reinforcing steel mesh as would be visible in Tann Anchormesh - or even rebar for that matter.

The clean black Aloxite nuggets don't ring any bells either.

The large core was from the wall of a tann swept front vault door, possibly 650 or 850 from memory, I had drilled the door to try to overcome a broken plastic scroll and got the boltwork back to less than an inch from opening, but then went solid so we cored the vault wall.

Thinking about it now the other one I had down as demountable vault barrier (had to put holes in for camera cable access) but now you have questioned that I am thinking it may have been collier vault rather than Tann.

[QUOTE=Gary Stephenson;32291]

Many thanks Gary for your prompt reply.

Thread Information