Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help needed with Slaymaker "BEST" padlock

I recently acquired a BEST padlock made by Slaymaker. It looks like a PKPT padlock but the keyhole is in the centre of the bottom and it is a 4 lever push key padlock. I do not have the key.
    The problem that I have is that the key hole is orientated along the long axis of the lock whereas all the example that I have seen pictures of have the key hole orientated along the short axis.
    Someone has probably been messing with this lock and replaced the key hole escutcheon in the wrong direction.
    I don’t want to damage the lock so my question is how do I realign the key hole in the correct position?
    Do you just pull out the escutcheon turn it and replace it or do you turn it in place or something else?
    Any and all help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best padlock front.JPG   best padlock back.JPG   best padlock keyhole.JPG  

Default help needed with Slaymaker "BEST" padlock Your Message

First thing i don't think there anything wrong with the key hole. Yes is it PKPT lock. This lock may take a flat steel key blank. The key blank should look like per attachment. If you are locksmith can slim the lock to open it. There lot of way to make key for any PKPT. Some will impression the lock and some will take the lock apart, The best way to go if you know some old timer locksmith that can do this for you. Be sure whoever the locksmith know what he doing before you let him do the work. Also there have been lot of information on the forum about PKPT......Tim.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flat Steel Key Blank 1239..jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    First thing i don't think there anything wrong with the key hole. Yes is it PKPT lock. This lock may take a flat steel key blank. The key blank should look like per attachment. If you are locksmith can slim the lock to open it. There lot of way to make key for any PKPT. Some will impression the lock and some will take the lock apart, The best way to go if you know some old timer locksmith that can do this for you. Be sure whoever the locksmith know what he doing before you let him do the work. Also there have been lot of information on the forum about PKPT......Tim.....

Thanks for trying Timothy but this is a push key lever padlock and not a PKPT padlock.
    It is an oddball see the following http://antique-padlocks.com/pk_01.htm
    It was also shown in the current issue of WCLCA newsletter

OK! Now i know what going on you will need a small round tool that will fit inside the key hole. You need to pull on shackle and pick each one of the pin to get it open. There are some of locksmith make there own push key tool as per attachment. Or you can impression it but will take the time to get it right. It will take to long for me to explain all of how can be done. You can check in Lockpicking 101 as some do have make key for it.....Tim....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Push Key Tool.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    OK! Now i know what going on you will need a small round tool that will fit inside the key hole. You need to pull on shackle and pick each one of the pin to get it open. There are some of locksmith make there own push key tool as per attachment. Or you can impression it but will take the time to get it right. It will take to long for me to explain all of how can be done. You can check in Lockpicking 101 as some do have make key for it.....Tim....
    Thanks Timothy but I am not asking how to make a key for the lock. I have made a number of keys for pushkey padlocks.
    What I am asking is how to reorient the escutcheon so that all of the levers can be properly viewed and accessed.
    I want to be able to do this without damaging the padlock in any way.
    I'm not sure if the escutcheon needs to be removed, turned and replaced or just needs to be spun in place so that the keyhole is turned 90 degrees from its present orientation.
    The way it is now you can only see the edges of two of the levers and they run in the same direction as the key hole not across it like in the pancake padlocks that I have.

First as I do know that padlock is differ than the one talking about. My only guess if you get it open see if it have on the plug look like a hex wrench per attachment. If is does just maybe can take it off to see if it same as push key padlock. I'll not know what it look like inside by guess you have to do it step by step.
    Otherwise could be some kind of set screw holding the cylinder in. Let me know what happen would like to see it taken apart.....Tim....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lock -A.jpg  

Timothy
    I have added a scan of a page from an old Reed Padlock Code Book that I have
    Hope it helps yopu understand the lock bette
    I am not going to dismantle my lock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-05-19-0001.jpg  

OK now got to point of what is all about. As for now there not much for me to do only if i have one of those padlock in my hand. You are right about not drilling any hole just to get what you need and who know damage the padlock. Guess may have to wait for while until the other people on this forum show up. Maybe Nathan may help but have not heard word from him while.......Tim.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0608221120_Film4_resized.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	23066

Thanks Nathan
    That's the same write up that I posted above but better quality
    It still doesn't answer my question as to what to do about changing the direction of the keyhole
    I have added photos of my padlock and the your drawing with arrow showing what I am describing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best padlock keyhole drawing.jpg   Best padlock keyhole.jpg  

Thread Information