Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Milner Safe - Unknown Lock

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone may be able to throw some light on what type of lock a lever sim ilar to this may be from. Its in a Milner. Its a relitively small sized safe so originaly i assumed 212. i have now, or should say, We now ( after several disussions with Al Morgan) ruled out several other locks too).
    The drawing below isn't exactlyt accurate. The lower gate is possibly further over to the left.
    Please ignore the coulered spots.
    Any ideas?

1zg3vya 1

This lock does have a 7 - 11 keyway. With bolt thrower. The thrower has 2 slots in it. one a t 7 o'clock as normal. and one round about 2 o'clock so whe key is turned to 11 the other one a 2 now lines up at 7

Default Re: Milner Safe - Unknown Lock

How many levers ?

Are there any ' gaps ' in the stack through the holes you have ?

It's a common feature (and design element) of the triple stump locks to have some stumps that do not have gates in some of the levers, it prevents you threading all the levers into their gates through only one (or two) holes.

There is another option :!: You could have a dual control lock. The lock will have two talons (one above another) and as such two sets of gates - which yours has. You need to deal with the top talon first and then the lower.

Paul, from discussions with Phil the dual control would be my guess.
    I've never seen a Milner one at all, a real rarity.
    Anybody got any pictures or info please?

Thanks for the replies. The stump is now as far up through the gates as it looks like it will go( above the green spot on pic) and i only see one stump. When i move stump up and down i see what appears to be part of the bolt sliding up and down in the keyway. Hope that makes sense. Doeas this help any?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Webster
    Thanks for the replies. The stump is now as far up through the gates as it looks like it will go( above the green spot on pic) and i only see one stump. When i move stump up and down i see what appears to be part of the bolt sliding up and down in the keyway. Hope that makes sense. Doeas this help any?
    Makes perfect sense - I am pretty sure that you have a dual control lock there ...

I've just re-read your original post - yes I am 100 % sure that you have a dual control lock.

Have to got the 1st stage open ? (ie the bolt all the way up and levers at rest ?)

Can you see the 2nd stump ?

I can't find a picture of the exact model you have, this lock does not have the multi stage thrower that yours does, although I have seen them like that and don't recall any other major differences.

Given that the lock has the same footprint as the standard one why not drill for the boltwork / bolt interference point if you are having problems with the lock ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails milnerdual.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Webster
    Thanks for the replies. The stump is now as far up through the gates as it looks like it will go
    Might be obvious - you are turning the bolt thrower to pull the bolt back & not moving the stump through your hole :?:

The bolt thrower is a t about 9 o'clock. cant get it to move any further round. Turning the curtain does move the stump through the gates

Thread Information