Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default CORBIN, Power lever type padlock

I really wonder what manufacturers were thinking when they designed these power lever type padlocks. They can be easily picked with a simple Z-wire. I have seen some evidence of manufacturers using the more expensive lock components on the outside and the cheap power lever design on the inside. So, perhaps it was a cost savings. Then, one has to wonder how bit variations on the keys were addressed, if they were at all. Perhaps someone here knows the answer.

I made a replacement key today out of bronze, not brass. I had to use a Z-wire to gap gauge the warding within the lock. Most of it was guess work. The key snaps the lock open beautifully.

Corbin power lever with bronze key. https://imgur.com/a/xGAJLQL

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    I really wonder what manufacturers were thinking when they designed these power lever type padlocks. They can be easily picked with a simple Z-wire. I have seen some evidence of manufacturers using the more expensive lock components on the outside and the cheap power lever design on the inside. So, perhaps it was a cost savings. Then, one has to wonder how bit variations on the keys were addressed, if they were at all. Perhaps someone here knows the answer.
    It appears to be a Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. No. 09805 cast brass padlock. Found on pg. 46 of their 1928 Cat. No. 38, the description reads "Made in 6 changes", curious that such a lock would offer so few key changes, I guess it was a different era in terms of security! The vintage Master Lock No. 66 1-3/4" Little Giant wrought lever tumbler padlock from the era only had 12 changes. See thumbnails attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CCL09805castBrassPadlock.jpg   MasterNo66LittleGiantPadlock.jpg  

That's great! Thank you for your research. It makes me wonder now just how accurate I was in cutting the key.

beautiful!

Thread Information