Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default one more saved Milners

Hi guys. from 1 week all the France is lock down but fortunately my garage is full fill of safe's work so decided to finish my Milners restoration.
    i had restored previously a List 3 (square model) but was not satisfacted by the result on the finish : to do a good job the door must be remove.
    i asked on the forum but no one had heard of this so decided to remove. not an easy job but done some months ago and reassembly with chromoly screws. i was just waiting to finished the last detail and varnish for post.
    very happy to save this Milners even if i prefer the fire resisting range. the nazi cross on the original condition is not one : i bought to a 94 years indian grocer and told me that's a lucky symbol in india. notice the "open" "close" instructions with the 2 way contradictory arrows ! beautiful misunderstanding and fully useless marking.
    #number G663 like always details on the year product is welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resto milners 1.jpg   resto milners 2.jpg   resto milners 3.jpg   resto milners 4.jpg   resto milners 5.jpg  

Milner Serial number G663 dates to 1895

very nice job on the restoration.

Thanks for detail. I thought it was newer so finally more happy.

stunning work Stephane.

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Thanks for detail. I thought it was newer so finally more happy.
    Terrific work Stephane. It was not until 1919 that Milner introduced the List 3 Improved Patent with an angle lockcase and round bolts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner list 3.bJPG.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	22169

Hi guys. As i am a big fan of the Milners i will be glad to add an improve one to my collection but i really prefer models with big bolts attachment of the back door.
    do tou know what’s the smallest Milners double door list 3 and an idea of the weight ?

Hi guys. As i am a big fan of the Milners i will be glad to add an improve one to my collection but i really prefer models with big bolts attachment of the back door.
    do tou know what’s the smallest Milners double door list 3 and an idea of the weight ?
    I haven't any information on the earlier List 3's except that the smallest size was 23" high by 23" wide. Maybe about 300 kgs. The List 4 which had full drill protection throughout is illustrated below. It was fitted with the 9 lever triple stump lock - 2 or 3 depending on the size of the safe. The smallest size as above weighed approximately 1270 kgs.

Name:	Milner D.D..JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	22173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner Double Door 1.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	22174 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner9lever_1938.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	426.9 KB 
ID:	22175

Arround 300 kgs and 23x23 is pretty good. Unfortunately not able to manage a list 4 double door.
    another question : why the lion on the Milners plaque do not have the crown ? Hobbs, Tann, john port..... have the crown on the lion’s head.

Arround 300 kgs and 23x23 is pretty good. Unfortunately not able to manage a list 4 double door.
    another question : why the lion on the Milners plaque do not have the crown ? Hobbs, Tann, john port..... have the crown on the lion’s head.
    Might have something to do with the 'friendly' disputes between England and Scotland who are represented by the Lion for England and the Unicorn for Scotland.
    There is a Nursery Rhyme which goes .... The Lion & the Unicorn were fighting for the Crown, the Lion beat the Unicorn all around the town. A Scottish King, James VI had become James I of the whole country.
    Perhaps Milner felt that is was provocative to award the crown to the Lion.

Name:	Lion & unicorn..JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	22176

Thread Information