Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default 1928 Daimler with H&T Vaughan door locks

Hi everyone, yesterday, my wife & I were visiting friends in a tiny country town hear the middle of Victoria, where I was asked for help to sort out some door lock keys for a Daimler, 1928-ish. The locks are in great condition and would love to have locks working again once the Daimler has been restored.

Would anyone have any info on how to remove (to service and possibly repin) and what the keyway is please.

Cheers,
    Mickthepick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E607045D-85EF-44F4-A18D-673022696C78.jpeg   3DFBBD32-4C13-4362-8DF4-09C47EDE1DB0.jpeg  

This is first time seeing H&T Lock. It would help if yu can post more picture on the side and inside of door lock. Not sure but look like there may be two screw on the inside of door lock to remove the cylinder. If you are not locksmith the best way to go to locksmith if you have the lock off the door lock or they come to you they will re-key it for you at there price. Be sure to let them know that you have H&T lock...Tim....

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply.
    I’m specifically looking for a supply of key blanks. I believe that I can either impression a working key or pick and read the bottom pins.
    cheers, Mickthepick

Quote Originally Posted by Mickthepick View Post
    Hi Tim, thanks for the reply.
    I’m specifically looking for a supply of key blanks. I believe that I can either impression a working key or pick and read the bottom pins.
    cheers, Mickthepick
    Looks like it might be a Yale paracentric keyway from here? Check out No. 10-1/2 (now RN10/EZ Y-5) if .40" plug or No. 8 (now RN8/ EZ Y-1) if .51" plug. I know some pre-war Rolls-Royce and Bentley autos used "H.T.&V." locks with 4-pin Yale (Ilco 62JB/YL2) keyway .40" plugs.

Pete Schifferli

OK understand of what you said. Pete gave you good information of what you need. I also was thinking as Yale lock but not to sure. Let us know how thing work out....Tim.....

Thanks Pete for your info.
    Here’s photo of the H&T Vaughan keys in my collection. I think the far right key is the one that will fit...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2B3050A-4EFB-4E58-B8E9-83CA2E8508E1.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	22115

Default Daimler with Yale locks.

Postwar Daimlers did not use Yale locks normally. My Grandfather bought 3, and I saw many others in the garage where they were serviced, and on the roads.
    Rolls Royce, however, did normally have Yale locks, from memory they were 4-pin small cylinders, like cabinet locks. Yale also sold an after-fit small deadlock for securing cars and vans, which was generally a sign it was the car of a jewellery rep.

Thread Information