Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default need help with info on this antique door lock

Hi, I have this Yale original flat steel key pin tumbler door latch. can anyone tell me when this was made, and/or what it may be worth if anything? Thanks.
    hdQW1RYjpg3 1
    MG6Vk2Ojpg1 1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Casey View Post
    Hi, I have this Yale original flat steel key pin tumbler door latch. can anyone tell me when this was made, and/or what it may be worth if anything? Thanks.
    You have a cabinet lock, I'm not a collector so I have no idea what the value might be. Yale flat steel pin tumbler keys were in use from about 1868-1877 when they were replaced by the corrugated version used until around 1891 and finally the paracentric in 1892 which is extant. The trefoil logo is said to have been in use from about 1884-1909 thus your lock may date to this era even though it has a flat key?

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    ... Yale flat steel pin tumbler keys were in use from about 1868-1877 when they were replaced by the corrugated version used until around 1891 and finally the paracentric in 1892 which is extant....
    Pete Schifferli
    For further information here are thumbnails of the three early keys referred to in my below post taken from Yale & Towne Mfg. Co. Catalog No. 24 ca. 1917, on the left "paracentric", in the center "corrugated" and on the right "flat steel".

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YaleParacentricKeyFig7.jpg   YaleCorrugatedKeyFig6.jpg   YaleFlatSteelKeyFig5.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    For further information here are thumbnails of the three early keys referred to in my below post taken from Yale & Towne Mfg. Co. Catalog No. 24 ca. 1917, on the left "paracentric", in the center "corrugated" and on the right "flat steel".
    Pete
    For the sake of completeness, here is the original nomenclature for each of the Yale key blanks cited:
    • Fig. 5, flat steel, Old Yale No. 3, crosses to Old Ilco 1238 and others
    • Fig. 6, corrugated, Old Yale No. 6, crosses to Old Ilco 994M and others
    • Fig. 7, paracentric, Old Yale No. 8, crosses to Ilco 999 and others

Pete

Thread Information