Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Johnson Fare Box

Hello, I'm looking for information on the type of key needed for this Johnson Fare Box. I have seen other posts with the cross key, just never seen a double key.

Thanks
    B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Johnson Fare Box.jpeg   Fare Box Key Hole.jpeg  

Default Johnson Fare Box

Nice Fare Box. Remind you that Johnson Fare Box has all kind of differ lock for it The one you have may look more like this per attached but you need to measure the keyway top, bottom and width. If you can just take picture of front of the keyway so it will give some idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flat Steel Key Blank 1259.jpg  

Default Johnon Fare Box

I collect Johnson, Cleveland, Keene and Diamond fareboxes and have never seen one of those marked as such. It looks very much like a shop-built box from Milwaukee making it a fairly rare item. Does it actually have a Johnson tag on it? Does it look like this - http://www.johnsonfarebox.com/fare44b.jpg that was taken from http://www.johnsonfarebox.com/gallery4.htm

I'd be really interested in seeing more pictures of it. All of my Johnson, Cleveland and Keene boxes (that were constructed with keys) have the Cleveland 4-way key. Some like the Johnson "J" did not have a key nor did many of the Johnson "D" or Reg Lock boxes.

Sorry I can't help with the key and I wish you the best of luck in getting that sorted.

Default Johnson Fare Box

Here is another image taken at approximate the same angle as your picture. I believe you have a Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company farebox. Very nice find indeed!

https://www.facebook.com/RideMCTS/ph...6593225150192/

Default Johnson Fare Box Your Message

Are you locksmith or just collection the fare box. It the lock unlock to open it if not there some locksmith may be able to get it open for you so you can see the inside of the lock hardware. But he may have blank key for it that you have to shop around to see if any locksmith will or can do the job. Don't let him drill the lock. I try to see if i can find more about it but only find two.....Timothy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 64486666_3_x.jpg   64486666_3_x (2).jpg  

Thanks for all the information, I kinda thought it was a Milwaukee Electric but it doesn't have a ID Plate. Not planing on drilling out the key, I want to keep as vintage as possible. Will look for a local locksmith in the Chicagoland area.

Regards,

Default Johnson Fare Box

If you can take picture of the front of lock maybe can give some idea of what key it can be. Good luck finding someone to do the work for it but be sure shop around ask lot of question of what you want done and what going to cost.....Timothy.....

Default Johnson Fare Box

Good Day to all. I found something giving more information on Johnson Fare Box in pdf. Got this from Electric Railway Journal. As far i know they do call it Cabinet lock they are make from Yale and Corbin lock. But by using differ cylinder for cabinet lock....Timothy.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Johnson Fare Box

Thanks for this, sorry for the delay. I thought I posted this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fare Lock.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Good Day to all. I found something giving more information on Johnson Fare Box in pdf. Got this from Electric Railway Journal. As far i know they do call it Cabinet lock they are make from Yale and Corbin lock. But by using differ cylinder for cabinet lock....Timothy.....
    Interesting, thanks for sharing Timothy. I'm guessing these likely used a Yale 10-1/2 or Corbin Cabinet Lock 8632 4-pin blank unless they developed a restricted keyway for Cleveland Fare Box Co. Presuming they used the stock section, a competent locksmith should be able to impression a key without damaging or disassembling the lock.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information