Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Turned this up, it came from a long time Chubb safe employee, I think at one time it was used as a demo lock to take customers through the operation and changing procedures. The tarnish on it is mega, I will start polishing it up and may even consider doing a cutaway, time permitting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chatwood sam demo lock from chubb safe co (1).JPG   chatwood sam demo lock from chubb safe co (5).JPG   chatwood sam demo lock from chubb safe co (7).JPG   chatwood sam demo lock from chubb safe co (8).JPG   chatwood sam demo lock from chubb safe co (9).JPG  

work in progress
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sam cutaway 168916 (38) - Copy.jpg   sam cutaway 168916 (40) - Copy.jpg   sam cutaway 168916 (41) - Copy.jpg   sam cutaway 168916 (43) - Copy.jpg  

It's coming up quite nicely, maybe that is what I should do with mine.
    Fair lump of brass, thick walls.

Yes it is quite thick in places to cut though, but mine was in quite a rough condition, so needed some TLC. I would imagine a 4 wheel SAM? to be very much a rarity. Are the other suspected Aussie made locks all 4 wheelers or mostly 3 wheelers?

Was there such a thing as a 4 wheel SAM lock??
    Is it a copy/fake, I don't know having never seen another up close and the accompanying post is a revelation to me. And again why do a 4 wheel and to what end user was it intended.
    It seem odd to me that there would be a market for them, pretty specialized lock to make individually.
    I will at some stage ask around a few people in the industry and maybe even see if I can find another to look at.

I will ask around before I commit or receive concrete confirmation one way or the other.
    Still an interesting lock.

I have never seen a 4 wheel version before this one.

Default Chatwood SAM lock

Mine has a 'bolt' in form of a ring, to which was connected a shutter, which was moved vertically to cover the keyhole of an Invincible key lock below it. There was a long vertical safe plate (which I don't have) bearing the index mark, and the dial rested on the upright safe plate. Mine is also wanting a spindle, which I am told was individually made, so i cannot mount it. Afaik the lock was designed to be mounted vertically.

A copy of the SAM lock sounds a surprising venture — not that I say it was not done. But it was such an expensive lock that Chatwood later decided to use something cheaper for most safes — basically, a copy of the S&G comlock. Still for the very top-of-the-range, Chatwood had the 5-spindle lock, made in batches of 5.

One uncommon/rare variant was a numerical dial. I have only seen one. At least, I was told it was from a SAM, but it might actually just have been from the Chatwood version of the basic S&G comlock.

Thread Information