Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Alex Adam, Falkirk

Hi folks. I’ve just bought this large Alex Adam safe plaque and wondered what the 267 on the top of the plaque signifies. Is it the same as the Millers plaques with the 212 relating to the fireproof properties of the filling inside the cavities ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8802BAD9-5AAB-4A70-A45E-109D67A0BFEC.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    Hi folks. I’ve just bought this large Alex Adam safe plaque and wondered what the 267 on the top of the plaque signifies. Is it the same as the Millers plaques with the 212 relating to the fireproof properties of the filling inside the cavities ?
    Hello again Warren63.

The only reference that I can find to the number 267 is in connection to distillation temperatures in a very technical NASA publication a section of which I will attach.

The Coat of Arms of Falkirk includes translations if the scroll inscriptions which you may (or not) find interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	267.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	22058 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falkirk..JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	22059

You will find some Adam family detail in Grace's Guide. Lovely plate.

Thanks Safeman, all interesting stuff, but I must admit the NASA stuff is a bit technical for my sedated brain. I think it must be something to do with the fire resistance properties of the filling in the safe cavities. Although it would be nice to know if it was just a number plucked out of the sky, or had the fire resistance actually been improved over Milners 212 degrees!

Thread Information