Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

“Harbor Freight Tools offers a 100 pc. security bit set for $7.99 that includes most anything you might ever encounter”, but clearly doesn’t include the hard-to-find bits that wylk is looking for that are the subject of this thread. Pay attention at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    “Harbor Freight Tools offers a 100 pc. security bit set for $7.99 that includes most anything you might ever encounter”, but clearly doesn’t include the hard-to-find bits that wylk is looking for that are the subject of this thread. Pay attention at the back.
    Mea culpa, the set contains four sizes of TRI-WING(R) type bits but these are clearly the reverse of what is required; sorry for the confusion.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tri-WingScxrewdriverBit.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	22092
    Pete

It did send me off on a quick search for security bits on eBay but none look like Mosler's style. I did find a new style I hadn't seen before, "LOX" which is a modified square drive. But that's not relevant.

I think it's fascinating that Mosler chose this particular type of tamper-resistant screw, that today is virtually impossible to find a driver for. Were they really that worried about unauthorized access to the timer?

I'll keep looking, or at least keep my eyes open. If a commercial bit is found I'll follow up in this thread.

Wylk you’ll find this hard to believe but I’m being totally serious in that another famous maker also for reasons unknown, chose that particular type of screw. What famous maker in question ? You’d better sit down for this and perhaps even pour yourself a whiskey. Fisher Price. They used them on countless toy and plastic products throughout the 1970s but notoriously on the record players which prevented joe public from doing their own diy repairs !!!

Wow! That's unexpected but fun to find. Here are a couple of images and they do look just like the Moslers:

Name:	FisherPrice.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	22093 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FP2.jpg 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	22094

Progress!

These are called Holt head screws. They were also used by Atari on Pong and Super Pong games in the mid-1970s, and on certain Ford cars (e.g. Mustang) to attach the optional Rally-Pac instrument cluster from 1963 to 1966.

Given the name I then took the easy leap of guessing that Holt was the inventor. This led to the 1938 US patent 2,180,633 (http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=02180633&idkey=NONE) which describes a four-slot variety:

Name:	holt4.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	22099

I have found one three-slot driver, the Symmons HY-50 at a decent price, around $15.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    I have found one three-slot driver, the Symmons HY-50 at a decent price, around $15.
    The Symmons HY-50 Holt head screwdriver is apparently sold by plumbing supply houses, I found it for $12.18 using a Google search, see thumbnail attached.

Name:	SymmonsHY-50screwdriver.jpg 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	22101
    Pete

Thread Information