Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Looking for an antique, round vault door (bigger the better)

I don't know why: It's aggravating me. I need one. For my house (no idea why)
    I had a lead on one for the cost of removal, and got close, before owner decided to dry-wall over the thing (a shame). I'll pay for removal and ???? (depends on the door)

seven zero four, nine five six, seven four nine eight (call or text)

I remember your try at the door in Champaign. An admirable goal.

There has been one on eBay for a while, item 192688980963, "Antique Diebold Circular Round Bank Vault Door" which has already been removed from a bank in Saint Louis and is rigged for moving. I believe they already sold the rectangular door shown in the auction. The price seems very steep at $100,000 but the seller may be willing to negotiate a better price. It seems worth trying. Pictures from the auction:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saint Louis 1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	22003 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saint Louis 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	22004

A much cheaper alternative is a poster. Again on eBay, item 182258412923 "Bank Vault Door Grunge Art Canvas Poster Print Home Wall Decor" shows the exterior of a fake door, and 172319001500 "Bank Vault Door Art Canvas Poster Print Home Wall Decor" shows the inside face of a Mosler door. Many more prints are available from other sources. This is not what you want but it might do temporarily!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	22005 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	22006

Here's another possibility: https://www.brownsafe.com/categories...ault_doors.htm lists a round Mosler door but not the price.

And another, Zykan Safe & Vault - http://zykansafes.com/antique-vault-doors

Zykan is the same guy selling the ebay one: and not flexible on price
    In fact, it seems that they want to include delivery and setup if you try to buy it. Sounds like they know what they're doing, though.

Brown Safe is even more expensive: I think they said around $120k (but lightweight and 'easy' to install)

Yup: Still bummed about the Illinois door: they're convinced the building would fall down if they tried to remove it :(
    Thanks for watching for me, though :)
    I'm still lurking.

Thread Information