Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Corbin Unit Lock Disassembly

Hello, all. I'm primarily a safe and vault technician these days, but one of my local locksmith customers asked me for help with this lock. It needs to be disassembled and rekeyed. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9937.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	21997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9938.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	21998

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldr View Post
    Hello, all. I'm primarily a safe and vault technician these days, but one of my local locksmith customers asked me for help with this lock. It needs to be disassembled and rekeyed. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    That's an ancient one, but presuming it's P & F Corbin or Russwin; the Corbin Russwin UT5200 Parts and Service Manual may be of some help, see especially pgs. 34-46:
    http://www.corbin-russwin-hardware.com/Parts_UT5200.pdf

Pete Schifferli

Hi Pschiffe! Long time no see! Not much action over at LC these days.

That link's a great resource, but I suspect even the oldest style might not cover the lock we have here. I was able to find an old catalog that seems to show the same lock mechanism (pages 427 and 428), but no tips on how to disassemble it.

https://archive.org/details/CatalogN...ware/page/n491

Good to see you're still around!

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldr View Post
    Hi Pschiffe! Long time no see! Not much action over at LC these days.

That link's a great resource, but I suspect even the oldest style might not cover the lock we have here. I was able to find an old catalog that seems to show the same lock mechanism (pages 427 and 428), but no tips on how to disassemble it.
    https://archive.org/details/CatalogN...ware/page/n491
    Good to see you're still around!
    Yup, still kickin; many locksmiths now lurk over on the excellent paid membership ClearStar Security Network website. I believe the P&F Corbin unit lock shown on pg. 427 of Cat. 28M (c)1942 cylinder removal instructions are covered on pg. 34 of the reference I cited?

Pete

I'm a lifetime member over on Clearstar, too, just picked it up during the sale, but I still haven't logged on yet.

Unfortunately, I don't see any retainers! Here are some more pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10001.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	22001 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9998.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	21999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10000.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	22000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9999.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	22002

It's been about 40 years since I took one of those apart. Unfortunately those are not the correct pictures to help me remember. Hidden half c clips requiring something to be slid sideways to expose them? Maybe closer pics of the innards would help?

I pulled the pin that holds the outside trim in place, removed the cotter pin that connects the latch to the linkage arm, and poked and prodded just about every which way on this thing, and haven't found any holes or access points to any hidden retainers. No C-clips, either, unfortunately. The pin that holds the inside knob in place is more of a rivet, and peened in place.

The square spindle inside the heart of the mechanism slops back and forth a little, but not enough to allow me to remove the two steel 'wings' that retract the latch. After a thorough soaking of Triflow, we can finally insert the key, but it won't turn.

Were any of these locks assembled with hidden spring retainers that required a drilled hole for disassembly?

I do not remember drilling on these but I could be wrong. Jogging my memory, I remember working many times on the HD Knobsets that had the huge CClips on the knobs hidden underneath the knob caps. How about a couple more pictures?

In order to remove/ install those two metal wings did require the knob tubes to be slid sideways and pretty sure it was half clips that needed to be removed to allow the tubes to slide out. But hey I am just a wee bit senile.

I'm not near the lockset at the moment, but I'll take some more pictures the next time I'm there. Thanks!

Thread Information