Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Cotterill padlock key

I would like to get some info on the Cotterill numbering and size difference for padlocks. See attached picture of 3 padlock keys I own and all which are different sizes. The larger ones looks like a standard padlock key the other too particularly the really small look to small for the locks I have typically seen?

Can anyone tell me what each key would like have fitted?

Also I have Cotterill keys with letters from A up to W. What year do these represent and is each letter a corresponding year?

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D77DE74C-C5CE-409F-BC69-7AF4BCCBEB78.jpeg  

It is surmised that the letters relate to dates, but there is no evidence to support that supposition that I have ever seen. It could mean a multitude of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    It is surmised that the letters relate to dates, but there is no evidence to support that supposition that I have ever seen. It could mean a multitude of other things.

I am quite ill informed on the subject of locks but I have some information on the Acme keys from an article by Karl Jacobs in The Lock Collector Issue 46 which describes the diamond stamped Registered Design on the bow.

The circle above the diamond with letter 'I' is the material class. i.e. metal.
    The top segment with 22 refers to the day. The illegible number on the left refers to the 'bundle'?
    The 'C' on the right is the year. i.e. 1870.
    The letter in the lower section (illegible) refers to the month. For instance 'C' = January.

The numbers on the key it is suggested could refer to them being provided as part of a set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Registered design.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	21912 The letters apparently refer to the 4 different key designs. There is a vast amount of information on these designs and on Cotterill's in general but it would be improper for me to lift such from the Publications. (The Lock Collectors Association).

Incase it is not clear, the diamond Mark gives the date of design registration, not of manufacture

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    There is a vast amount of information on these designs and on Cotterill's in general but it would be improper for me to lift such from the Publications. (The Lock Collectors Association).
    As the original publisher of the Locks & Keys Newsletter (1996-2008) which is again available on the the Lock collectors website after a long absence for technical problems, I am very happy for anyone to quote or copy any of the articles I published. I would be happy to have the source mentioned as my newsletter, and its web address.

Thread Information