Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Combination Safe that has Means for Preventing Unauthorize

While back i found this S&G that has cover over the dial as never see one before. I came up with this patent number for this cover as look like S&G may have on some of there safe...Timothy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Antique Safe Combination Dial & Lock Unit--Sargent & Greenleaf--On Display Stand [$127.50] 1.jpg   Antique Safe Combination Dial & Lock Unit--Sargent & Greenleaf--On Display Stand [$127.50] 2.jpg   Antique Safe Combination Dial & Lock Unit--Sargent & Greenleaf--On Display Stand [$127.50] 6.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    While back i found this S&G that has cover over the dial as never see one before. I came up with this patent number for this cover as look like S&G may have on some of there safe...Timothy....
    Timothy,

The only safes on which I've seen this particular design of anti-observation dial cover was on a limited production of Chubb Treasury Quality safes in the 1920's. I had assumed at the time that these were of Chubb's design.

They had a secondary use in preventing misdialling by parallex error if the person setting up the combination had used the opposite hand and stance than the person normally dialling.

Default Combination Safe that has Means for Preventing Unauthorize

That sound like they may have use for any combination lock. It surprise me like you said was use on Chubb Treasury Quality. Thank for information.....Tim.....

I have seen various similar designs and different ideas like lenses even down to modern electrical locks designed to do a similar thing, here are a couple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tann ar 72466 7inch sr drilled 6-1-05 (2) - Copy.JPG   chubb 3.5 inch strongroom 012 - Copy.jpg  

The epitome of preventing unauthorized view has to go to Sargent &Greenleaf's CodeTronic foray into electronic access. Here the deep dish rocker switch containers mounted on the wall next to the passage door were also used as a convenient ashtray. The butts helped to conceal which buttons to push.

Thread Information