Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    Unfortunately the human part of the situation is the weakest link.
    It was many decades ago but which was the large safe company which went under after one of its employees looked in the company records which included the bittings and cut some keys for himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    It was many decades ago but which was the large safe company which went under after one of its employees looked in the company records which included the bittings and cut some keys for himself?
    Hello Tom, you've just reawakened a very vague recollection from somewhere around 1950 which makes me think Milner. However this does not tally with your thought that the company involved went under.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Hello Tom, you've just reawakened a very vague recollection from somewhere around 1950 which makes me think Milner. However this does not tally with your thought that the company involved went under.
    How very odd though that ANY safe manufacturer or seller thought it a good idea to keep records of the key bittings against their safe records (which would include the customers name and delivery address.

Were there any cases of burglary associated with this record-keeping blunder, or was the employee discovered before using the keys that were cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    How very odd though that ANY safe manufacturer or seller thought it a good idea to keep records of the key bittings against their safe records (which would include the customers name and delivery address.
    I thought the guy that was doing it was copying keys just before the safe was delivered, nothing to do with records ....

That is similar to what I remember, cutting extra keys and noting addresses before delivery, and then some years later robbing the safes. They got caught after breaking their rule of never going back anywhere twice. I thought it might have been Chubbs.

It was Milners, a B&W film was made about it - Man of the Shadows.

I'd like to watch the film but it doesn't show up in the usual places (amazon, imdb, wikipedia, youtube).

The Long Arm (USA: The Third Key) from 1956 has a similar theme.

The long arm was the original British title, (USA The third key).
    Ealing studios, available on DVD in UK in The Ealing Studios Collection.
    Jack Hawkins later re-used his detective character as Gideon in a series of crime fiction films from the books of JJ Marric.

After the Milner name became known publicly, there was a crisis of customer confidence in Milner safes. Hall Agregates which owned both companies, soon merged Milner and Chatwood.
    Soon after that, Chatwood-Milner joined the Chubb Group.
    Some of the story of the police investigation is recounted in FIRMIN Men in the shadows, and GOSLING Ghost Squad. See also, KIRBY Scotland Yard's Ghost Squad: The Secret Weapon Against Post-War Crime.
    The 'Ghost Squad' was the British police's first undercover squad.

Thread Information