Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tann Safe Identification

Hi, was wondering if anyone could identify this safe for me. I am enclosing 3 pictures. 2 with numbers on the boltwork. One with info stamped on the inside of the safe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tann Image 1.jpg   Tann Image 2.jpg   Tann 3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    Hi, was wondering if anyone could identify this safe for me. I am enclosing 3 pictures. 2 with numbers on the boltwork. One with info stamped on the inside of the safe
    jaden, the product code STF is not shown on the list of UK made Tann safes. It could be that it was made in the Swedish factory which supplied most of the cash safes to the US. The spatter finish paintwork is also similar to the Swedish range.

Could you post photographs showing the complete safe inside and out. There may be labels attached to the back door pan showing fire and burglary test catagories.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    jaden, the product code STF is not shown on the list of UK made Tann safes. It could be that it was made in the Swedish factory which supplied most of the cash safes to the US. The spatter finish paintwork is also similar to the Swedish range.

Could you post photographs showing the complete safe inside and out. There may be labels attached to the back door pan showing fire and burglary test catagories.
    I will get some pictures posted tomorrow. Appreciate the help.

Question

I will get some pictures posted tomorrow. Appreciate the help.
    Safeman hope these help. Dimensions are outside 45h 29w 34d Inside 35h x 20w x 20d. Weight is approx 1550kgs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tann 5.jpg   Tann 6.jpg   Tann 8.jpg   Tann 9.jpg  

Safeman hope these help. Dimensions are outside 45h 29w 34d Inside 35h x 20w x 20d. Weight is approx 1550kgs
    Here's another two
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tann 10.jpg   Tann.jpg  

Hello again jaden,
    I was quite mistaken in thinking that this was not a UK made product. The photographs are helpful to an extent. For instance the Service Numbers Label suggests a date of manufacture after 1990 which is when I retired which could explain why my records excluded the code STF, the F suggesting Fortress which would match the design of the hinge assembly.
    This is described as Fortress 3520 15 x 6 Plus in brochures for US export safes but that there is no such label inside the door is a mystery.
    Your dimensions match those on the Fortress brochure with the exception of the external depth but could be explained if your measurements included the 'lump' as the hinge carriage is known.
    I'm sorry but my useful life ended in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Hello again jaden,

I'm sorry but my useful life ended in 1990.
    Well, maybe reprieved as I've just come across a list of Codes for safes produced in the Tann Billericay factory which includes STF as the Fortress (Series 2), which means that the safe could have been made before 1984.

I think of that boltwork as being either fortress 2 bankers 2 or treasury 2, in the uk, from your internal picture because it doesn't show the lower bolts to show how many dead aeds are present, but I would say fortress 2 although models were sometimes named differently in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    I think of that boltwork as being either fortress 2 bankers 2 or treasury 2, in the uk, from your internal picture because it doesn't show the lower bolts to show how many dead aeds are present, but I would say fortress 2 although models were sometimes named differently in the US
    Here is a picture of the lower boltwork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tann lower boltwork.jpg  

In the list I Have STF is a Tann Fortress (series 2)
    STB is a bankers series 2, STT is a treasury 2
    Last edited by Jason Jones; 21-10-19 at 04:52 PM.

Thread Information